Thursday, July 2, 2009

Rock You Like A Hurricane

In the summer time, the boys and I are at my parents' pool a lot. We will go there at least 5 days a week. I wait for summer all year long to sit under the palapa at my childhood pool and watch the kids play. It is my happy place. I did the page below to record how special the pool is for me and my family.



I call the pool my "parents' pool" because its located at my parents' house, but its actually my dad's pool. He loves it. He maintains it. He swims in it. Its been this way for 30+ years. On any given day you can see him down there reading a book under the palapa or taking a dip. I associate the pool as much with my dad as I do his love for the Lakers. Pool = Dad.

Another thing about my dad and his pool, he can be very particular about it. When he is around, he will admonish the kids about playing with their legos inside the pool. He will remind them over and over again about bringing all the toys and floaties out upon leaving. He will get irritated when the boys bring dirt or grass into the pool via the yard. He's not usually ok with diving for pennies and coins. The pool is his baby and he can sometimes come off like a mean old man defending it. Usually when we're there, Dad isnt and what Dad doesnt know wont kill him. We have learned to clean up well. But when he is there, we all know that he is prone to sudden outbursts regarding his dearest - the pool.

A recent pool activity Seamus and Finn have created is called "the hurricane." They dont usually do it when the two of them are alone because they cant create enough force for generate waves. However, if the boys have friends over they'll always do it. Each kid will take a floatie, mostly intertubes or boogie boards, and they will pound up and down on the water creating waves. Then, one or two of them will peel off and try to ride the boogie board or intertube amongst the waves. The problem with doing "the hurricane" is that a lot of water comes out of the pool once it gets going. The waves can get surprisingly big and the water will splash out of the pool in large quanities.

My dad hates this and will get very agitated when the kids do it at his pool. Hence, we dont do it (when he is around.)

Yesterday we went up to see our friends, the Whitneys. Summertime and school breaks are the only times of the year we get to see Tara, Jeff, Drew, Nathan, Mckenna and Anna. When we visit them, we can usually be found lounging around their community pool. Yesterday while playing in a pool that is NOT my father's, my boys convinced the Whitney kids to create "the hurricane." Im sure that the Whitney and McGarvey clans have generated the hurricane before, but yesterday was the first time I got some pictures of it.

So... without further adieu I give you the world premiere photographs of "the hurricane." Brought to you by Seamus, Drew, Nathan, Anna and Finn. (note* if you happen to have the song "Rock you Like A Hurricane" by the Scorpians it makes a great backdrop to viewing these pictures. I presently have it on right now.)



Happy Thursday! :)

2 comments:

  1. so cute. love that you wrote this down.
    the kids love it when we make big waves for them to play in. we make it a contest-who can make the wave hit the other side of the pool first.
    tara

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so ready to be in the middle of your hurricane! Keep the weather warm until I get there!!!

    ReplyDelete