Sunday, July 26, 2009

Awesome Album - Wilco


The latest Wilco album has been in heavy rotation here in Casa McGarvey. I love it!

I would not call myself a Wilco aficionado. I have a mild selection of Wilco songs in my itunes library - more of the mainstream stuff than the experimental, indie songs. Previous to this album, my most played Wilco songs were 1.) California Stars by Billy Bragg and Wilco, 2.) Jesus, etc on the Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and 3.) Theologians on A Ghost is Born. I didnt listen to many of the albums from start to finish. I mostly just played the Wilco songs I liked.

But this album is rad. All of it. Actually there is one song I skip over (Bull Black Nova) but all the others move so beautifully into each other. I will listen to it from start to finish with a big smile on my face.

My favorite songs? Well, the first song I bought off this album was "You and I" (a duet with Fiest) so I think that's my fav. Its the one that stays in my mind the longest. Its got a really sweet flowing, easy melody and I love hearing the sound of Jeff Tweedy's voice in it. He sounds very intimate and natural. When the album came out, I sampled the songs on itunes, but I only bought "You and I." We were short on money so I only bought what I knew I would love. My propensity to spend money on music is legendary and I was really trying hard to temper it by not buying whole albums. However, the next day I bought a second song "You Never Know" after hearing it on the radio. LOVE that song too. Love how it changes tempos into the chorus. Love the hard pounding piano and the slide guitar. It was really soon after that last purchase that I went ahead and completed the whole album. It had to be done.

After buying the entire album, I got a huge appreciation for the time and effort it takes to make an album - for planning out how the songs roll. On Wilco, the songs blend so perfectly and effortlessly into each other. When I completed the album I was able to really enjoy the other songs on the album and how they relate to the first two songs I bought. I really like the title track "Wilco. " Its got a harder edge to it without being too out of hand. I love the feedback and amplified noises - kind of reminds me of "Im Waiting for the Man" by Velvet Underground but with a heavier vibe to it. I LOVE how the second track "Deeper Down" is like its negative image to "Wilco"- a mellow, serene, soaring type of song. The whole album is like this. Its a real pleasant experience to hear in its entirety.

So if you like music, check it out! :)

1 comment:

  1. McG... I am just now previewing the album on Rhapsody. Sounding pretty cool thus far.

    ReplyDelete