Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Dodgers vs Padres


Matt and my first date was a Dodger/Padre game at Qualcomm Stadium in late September 1995. My dad had a friend at work who had seats right by the third base dugout. They were amazing seats. I was a huge Dodger fan back then and the visiting dugout for the Padres was third base. Our seats gave us great access to the players and Lasorda. It was awesome. Unfortunately, the Dodgers lost that game and my mood became sour with the loss. Thankfully it didnt stop Matt from holding my hand and sneaking in a "first kiss" upon arriving home.

Fourteen years later Matt and I got to revisit that first date, but this time we saw the game at Petco Park. Matt and I are lucky in that we are usually able to sneak away alone and watch the Padres each year. Usually its around our anniversary in August, but this year we got to go early. My parents had tickets for the Dodger/Padre game this past weekend but didnt use them. My dad asked me if I wanted them and I snatched them up without thinking twice. We had a great time.

It was a beautiful day: sunny and warm but with a great breeze off the bay. The place was packed! When the Dodgers come to town the crowds come out - many of them driving from LA to root on their team. The game went to extra innings with the Dodgers winning in the 13th. In 1995, I would have been overjoyed with that outcome, but these days Id prefer to see the home team win. We had a great time though and enjoyed all 13 innings. I know it sounds corny, but I feel so joyful watching baseball at a day game. Its a warm fuzzy feeling for me. I was telling Matt that I think we need to celebrate our half birthdays with my parents and invite everyone out to the ballpark each summer so we can feel that joy with family and friends. Such a happy place. :)

Here is a shot of us in our rally caps. It didnt help. ha ha

And here is Matt in a sea of Dodger fans. There were so many of them there - all decked out in thier Dodger jerseys. They are always very vocal, but most didnt get out of control. There was this one lady down near the field who had a big poster that read "This is Dodgerville USA." Eeeeeeekkkk! It made me cringe a bit every time she put that thing up and waved it. Dont get me wrong, I like to see the Dodgers win - just not when they play the Padres. I still have a soft spot in my heart for the Dodgers, but Ive never been into disrespect at another team's home park.

Thanks to Mom and Dad for the great tickets.
Happy Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment