Friday, September 25, 2009

They Say Its Your Birthday....


My sister turns 37 years old today.
Genetically she seems to have gotten all the traits I missed:
She's organized.
She's poised.
She's beautiful.
She's articulate.
She's responsible.
She's assertive.
She's dependable.
She's a leader.
We dont look alike. She took after mom - the exotic, Mexican side. She has wide, pretty eyes and thick, naturally curly hair. She doesnt have many wrinkles at all and she has great legs. I took after Dad - a white man. Enough said. ha ha. When we are introduced as sisters most people think she's the older one not because she looks older, but because she acts older. But even though we are different, Ive heard many people say that after they've spent time with the two of us, there is no denying we are sisters. We talk the same way - using similar inflections and such. And we interact together with striking familiarly, as if we know each other very well. As if we are connected. As if we were raised together, side by side.
My sister suffers from middle child syndrome so she feels like she is always overlooked and unloved.
But she is very very loved and she's impossible to ignore.
I love that we can talk on the phone for 10 seconds and it gives me a little lift.
I love that you are most likely the only person I feel secure enough to gossip to.
I love that you always watch the Today show.
I love when you drop by for no reason.
I love that you are the first person I go to when I need fashion advice.
I love that there are countless songs that make me instantly think of you.
I love that you love oatmeal scotchies and will drive over in a second if I make them. They're like a lure.
I love your chin. Its very unique and something you've passed down to your son.
I love to see you with your kids and love to see parts of you in them.
I love that you have shared in so many of my happiest moments. You were there for the boys. You were there at my wedding.
But there are so many little things too - little moments. Like I always think of you when I hear Oasis "Wonderwall" because I remember the two of us dancing up in your room at the house after college. We were giggling and laughing and it is such a happy memory for me. We were just being dorks.
I love when you are happy because when you are in a good mood you are the funnest person in the whole world to be around. Seriously. You are.

I can not imagine my life, nor do I want to, without you in it.
Happy birthday, little sister.
I love you more than you will ever dare to admit or believe.
I do.
I have always loved you and I always will.

4 comments:

  1. thank you.....why do you have to make me cry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that post was by me...jen not barry

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was beautiful, Li. Love the pic too. Totally see Abbey in it! Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot even imagine how that would feel to have a sister say the same thing to me. Lucky Jen! And from reading your post, lucky *you* for having her as a sister.
    -Shell

    ReplyDelete