Friday, September 25, 2009

Lets Here It For The Boy

Last Saturday Seamus and Matt went out to get something at Lowes and when they returned they had these:

The first feeling that passed over me when I saw Seamus holding the flowers was surprise. Matt hasnt given me flowers for a long time. A split second later I felt a warm feeling come over me of feeling loved. Maybe "feeling loved" isnt the right word. Matt is great at making me feel loved. Feeling noticed. Yeah that's probably more accurate. Feeling acknowledged is even better.

The first few years of our marriage, Matt would surprise me with flowers frequently. When we lived in Sacramento (before kids) he would sometimes grab flowers just for fun on his way home from work . I remember one particular type of flower he used to get that I loved; it was called feverfew. The bouquet was kind of bush like with tiny daisy like flowers. When Matt worked in Vista back when the kids were babies, he would bring flowers home because he knew I was going nuts with our two young sons. There was (and still is) a flower stand near his old work and he would pick up flowers (sometimes roses if I remember correctly) on the way home. Im afraid to admit that many times I didnt appreciate those flowers as much as I should have. By the time he got home, I was harried and cranky dealing with the struggles of a new mother. When Matt came through the door at 6pm, I didnt want to see flowers; I wanted to see help and/or an escape route. Most recently Matt would pick up flowers for me at the farmers market on Saturday mornings. I think those might have been my favorite. Often times Matt would take the kids with him to the early morning market (therefore allowing me to sleep in) and when they returned, they'd always have salsa, hummus and fresh freesia or sweet peas for me. Oh yes... those flowers were by far my favorites. Alas, the farmers market moved across town a few years ago and with it went the flowers.

Last Saturday when I saw the flowers, I was genuinely touched in an "Ooooh. You still love me!" kind of way. Back in the beginning of our marriage when I was receiving flowers frequently, I didnt always appreciate them like I should have. But these flowers shot an arrow right through my heart. I was smitten and feeling gooey ooey in love with my husband. It was probably 5 seconds after recieving the flowers and feeling a flush of love that I heard Seamus say, "It was my idea, Mama. They're from me." Quickly, I looked at Matt. I assumed this was his idea. I was already feeling romantic with the idea that I was still his sweetheart after all these years, but he nodded at me affirming what Seamus just said. These flowers were Seamus' idea.

My reaction changed: I was shocked and maybe even a little bit disappointed they werent from Matt. I recall hugging Seamus and telling him thank you but my feelings were all mixed up. Today however, I feel overwhelmed and lucky. My son wanted to get me flowers! I mean, wow....that is really, really cool. And my son is 11 years old - he's not some cute little 6 year old picking flowers in the yard for his mama. Not that those flowers arent the best. They are! But these flowers were purchased with intent. I have no idea why he thought to get me flowers. I wonder if he had a motive or if he just thought they would make me smile. Ive gone back in my head and tried to remember what happened that day, but I cant recall anything that might have prompted his sweet gesture. Regardless, I gotta say it makes me feel sappy sweet love for my boy, Seamus.

Happy Friday.

3 comments:

  1. this totally made me cry.
    such a sweet story.
    i am so glad you have a blog.
    its quickly become a favorite to read and i love when you update.
    tara

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a great mama...that's why he thought to do it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. tears for me too.
    oh man ... that was really sweet of Shea.
    -shell

    ReplyDelete