Saturday, September 5, 2009

Shhhh - Im trying to think


Yesterday Seamus had his annual physical with Dr. Weintraub. He had to get two booster shots and on the way home he peppered me with TONS of questions about immunizations.

Why were they used?
Are they effective?
Why are there side effects?
What did people do before shots?

His questions were thorough and jumped logically from one to another. About half way home, the questions started to shift into a more focused topic: specifically cancer.

Seamus: Why isnt there an immunization for cancer?
Me: That's a great question, but there's not a simple answer. Creating these immunizations takes a lot of time, brainpower, energy, and money. I think people are working on it as we speak.
Seamus: Who's working on it?
Me: Scientists. Doctors. Smart people.
Seamus: Why is it taking so long?
Me: I dont know, Shea. Im not a scientist. Its complicated.
Seamus: Do you think they will make a shot for cancer soon?
Me: I hope they will, but who knows. People lived with the affects of tuberculosis and polio and all sorts of really bad diseases for centuries before the immunizations were discovered. It might take a while.

On the way home, I had to stop by Vons and pick up some things for dinner. As the kids and I were walking around the store, I was talking to them and asking them to help me pick out stuff. Seamus was quiet - lost in thought. In the freezer aisle I asked him which kind of popsicle he wanted and he didnt respond. Strange. Finally, as we were checking out, I asked him to go get something for me and he absentmindedly told me to "shhhhh." I was floored and responded in an irritated manner. " Do not 'shhh' me Seamus! Are you even listening to anything Im saying? What is going on?" He looked at me in an exasperated way and said, "Mama, Im trying to think of an immunization for cancer and its hard to think when you keep talking so much."

Happy Saturday.

4 comments:

  1. sweet, sweet boy. I hope he thinks of it someday. Wouldn't that be great :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally believe he can do it! This made me cry and then Mom came in and I read this to her and now she is crying too. He is so sweet.
    Love You all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh. are you kidding me. he is the best. man, that kid is so amazing.
    tara

    ReplyDelete