Thursday, March 12, 2009

I Love To See You Smile.


A couple weeks ago I got a call from my friend Tina saying that she was going to sign up her two sons for indoor soccer through Vista Parks and Rec. She wondered if Finn might be interested too. My first reaction was no... he probably wouldnt. Finn played two years of soccer through Vista Soccer Club and it was during that time he coined his now famous phrase "I do not like the sun. I do not like to run." Soccer wasnt Finn's thing. In fact, any kind of physical exertion (aka - sports) wasnt his thing.

Upon second thought, it occurred to me that beyond the actual act of playing soccer, Finn would absolutely LOVE seeing his best friends, James and Jeremy, again. Indoor soccer meets twice week and that meant that he would be able to play and interact with them on a bi-weekly basis. There is no doubt in my mind that the thing that has been most difficult for Finn this year has been the loss of his Beaumont friends. I was certain that he would endure soccer as a means of ensuring that he might see James and Jeremy on a regular basis.

Boy was I right. When I suggested the idea of playing indoor soccer with his friends, Finn was all for it! I reminded him that he was required to actually listen and run and play the sport. His reply was "I can do it. Its indoors so I wont be running in the sun." ha ha And... to sweeten the deal Finn's other best friend from Beaumont, Ryan Hilder, ended up joining the indoor soccer class too! A trifecta!

We have had two classes so far and Finn is doing remarkably well. He is engaged and listening to the instructor. He is trying his best. And most of all, he is not complaining at all - a rarity. By all accounts Finn is having the time of his life playing with his old buddies again.

Its so nice to see him smiling and giggling again.

No comments:

Post a Comment