Friday, March 6, 2009

Damn that Sundance Kid!

What do all these words have in common: Robert Redford, Utah, film festival. Have you guessed it? Sundance Catalog.

I freaking LOVE the Sundance Catalog. Love, love, love, love, love, love! Id guess that about 80% of the things they sell are items I would have in my home if money were no object. Unfortunately money is an object and the Sundance Catalog is super expensive.

I have a couple jewelry items from Sundance. These two rings I wear every single day.




Both rings were given to me by Matt. Awwwww. He gave me the Jes MaHarry ring for my birthday and the silver band came that same year for Mothers Day. The Jes ring was such a surprise. I love her rings - love all the neat designs and sayings she puts on them. I had been talking about that particular ring for weeks prior to receiving it. Matt and his mom had this huge act going on that prevented me from even thinking this ring was intended for me. It still makes me smile to think how absolutely shocked and excited I was when he gave it to me on my birthday.

But its not just the jewlery at Sundance that I love. Oh no. I wish it were that simple. Its the clothes, the furniture, the accessories. Like this item for example:

Dude... I LOVE this. When I saw it recently online I actually gasped out loud. I love the urban-ness of it. Is that a word? Its so utilitarian and schoolish and old looking. Its like a total throw back to the locker rooms that my mother and her friends used to dress in before gym. I adore it. You would think that I might be able to find this kind of thing for $15 at goodwill or a yard sale. But no. I live in California. This kind of "junk" has a hefty price tag. This particular one in the Sundance Catalog is $2495.00. Can you believe that? Crazy expensive... but its soooooo coooooool!
And this quilt:

It should be said that I have a huge weakness for quilts. I have a good sized collection of them in my home and I have absolutely no problem spending money on them. Recently my mother in law sent me some AWESOME quilt covers that Matt's grandmother made. I cant wait to get those quilted. They're heirlooms - a part of Matt's history. I think that's what I love the most about quilts. They are tangible, everyday items that share the past with the present. This quilt in the Sundance Catalog is cool looking and different with the strips. I acutally really love the unique style vs the conventional square. Normally if I found this in a resale shop, Id snatch it up without blinking an eye. Its the history thing, you know? But considering that it was mass made and costs $500, Im going to have to pass.

And then there's this skirt:

I just like it. I do. I love how flowey and feminine it is. I love the patterns and the colors. It speaks to me.

For about 7 years I have lusted after the pickle barrel bed. The simplicity of it is totally my style. I imagined me taking a little pocket knife and carving L+M inside a heart on the head board. Its a lovely fantasy I have a had for several years. But lately, Ive turned a corner. I no longer want the pickle barrel bed. Im upgrading to this:

I can still carve our initials into the headboard, even if its just in my dreams.
Happy Friday.

5 comments:

  1. i want all of the things pictured here.
    maybe we can go in together, and share them. :)
    i totally want that bed now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, T. Dont you LOVE the bed!? Gosh... I have been dreaming of that bed for years.
    My friend Scarano actually has the pickle barrel one. When I saw it in her house I almost died.
    Matt read this and said "Lisa, I can MAKE you that bed."
    Im absolutely cool with that. Make it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a pewter pocket angel that came from Sundance...it is one of my most prized possessions.

    But now I have locker envy....I LOVE that thing. I dream of driving by and seeing something like it at a yard sale...I'd probably crash the car!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i bet my BIL jason could make that damn bed.
    !!!!!!!
    for realsies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the lockers, too - but 2500? That's a bit much. I think the way to go is to try to find an older school that is getting rid of them -- and you could probably buy them for much cheaper. Plus they'd have built-in cool characteristics from years of use.

    I love both beds -- but the second is definitely my fave. It is perfect!!

    ReplyDelete