Sunday, March 29, 2009

Do You Know The Way to Mataguay?

My boys are back!
Matt and Finn participated in their first cub scouts campout this weekend. They had a great time but were seriously tired and dirty upon arriving home. The short hand notes from Matt are as follows:

Finn enjoyed:
BB gun range
camp fires
night hike
arts and crafts
being with friends

Finn did not like:
long lines
food
skits

The last thing on Finn's dislike list actually turned out to be a good thing. Apparently Finn became highly anxious and terrified about doing a skit with his den one evening. He got himself really worked up about it - at first complaining and later crying. I am told the skits are a big part of being a scout. Matt says they are used to build confidence in the boys. Finn definitely lacks confidence so I understand why he would be freaked out about performing in front of hundreds of strangers. Thankfully, there were some really sweet boys in Finn's pack that coaxed him into the process. In the end, Finn ended up doing the skit with his den and actually enjoying it. :)

Matt bought a small point and shoot camera specifically to take pictures for this weekend. Im grateful. When he showed me the pics earlier today he said "I know its not much but I think I have enough for a scrapbook page. Do you think?" Totally. Its gonna be neat scrapping my first scout page. Here are a few of his photos.




5 comments:

  1. Such fond memories as I look at these pictures - Matt as a Boy Scout, and my time working with the Brownie and Girl Scout Troops. So proud of Finn for enjoying all of these things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Long Lines, Boy Scout Food and Skits - Everyone says Seamus is like me but I think Finn and I may have a little in common too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that stance in front of the tent. so so so priceless finn.
    (feeling better i think!) (crossing fingers)
    tara

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha ha ha ha. Reading your comment, Kris, made me laugh out loud.

    And Tara - you're right. That stance is CLASSIC Finn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I stumbled upon your blog during a search for Mataguay and enjoyed reading about your son's experiences at camp. I am an oldster now and a former Scout, having become an Eagle Scout, received the Vigil Honor in the Order of the Arrow, Lodge Chief and Area Lodge Chief in the process.

    I was a camp staff member at Camp Emerson, near Idyllwild, for many years in the 1960's and early 1970's. Tell your son, that even today, the memories of camp, the Scouting program and the lessons I learned about life are remembered and cherished to this day.

    I will be visiting Mataguay next week with a friend to pick up her son from camp. I know that when I walk into camp and see the wild boys running about, excitedly talking about their many adventures at Mataguay I will be flooded with many happy memories.

    I was once told that the things I learned and the values I adopted as a Scout would help me into adulthood. Those wise, old Scouters were right. As I sit in my office and reflect on your post, I am also looking back with fondness and a bit of pride of what Scouting brought to me.

    Good luck to your son in the Scouting program and best wishes to YOU with all of the hard work parents put into creating the best Scouting memories possible.

    Cheers,
    Terry L. Tyson
    Environmental, Safety and Health Director
    Lehigh Hanson, San Diego

    ReplyDelete