Thursday, December 3, 2009

Mother Nature's Son(s)


Last week, Matt and I took the kids up to Palomar Mountain. We try to get up there a few times a year and the day after Thanksgiving seemed like a good a time as ever. Matt and I were both feeling pretty full from all the good food so we decided a family hike was in order. The drive up the mountain takes us just over an hour, but when we're up there its so worth the gas. Palomar Mountain is beautiful. Its hard to believe a place so natural and pristine exists so close to the booming metropolis where we live.

Matt and I have been driving the kids up to Palomar since they were babies. We have pictures of each of them attached to us in Baby Bijorns. Fall, Winter and Spring are the best times. The insects can get pretty harsh in the Summer so we avoid it when it gets hot. The hike we have taken for years is called the Doane Valley Trail and although the kids basically know it by heart, they still get excited to buy the trail guide and check out each exibit. This time, in addition to the regular hike, Matt found a geo cache site and we used his GPS to go find some "treasure". We'd never done that before and the boys loved it.

Its hard to say but I think this past trip to Palomar was the best family hike we've ever had. Maybe it was the geo cache. Maybe it was the beautiful Fall weather. Maybe the many deer we saw entering the park blessed our trip. I dont know. What I do know is that the boys are at a really fun age right now for these types of activities. As much as I worry about mountain lions, they're big enough that we can give them a little space. We dont have to carry any one anymore - boy is that great! We all walk at about the same pace - no one is trying to out do anyone. There are very little complaints. On this particular trip there were zero arguments. Zero conflicts. If we are spending half the day with the kids, its rare that there isnt at least one disagreement. I dont recall any on this past hike.

I will remember 11.27.09 as a wonderful family day. I know there will be many more in the future. :)

Ok... some pictures:



The above photo is a shot of the loot the boys found in the geo cache. A boy scout troop from Carlsbad created the cache and we were the first people to find it. There were so many neat little toys to chose from. The geo cache was found in the trunk a big oak tree on a trail that was closed for the winter. For those of you who dont know, Matt is a real stickler for rules. If an authority figure/sign/rule says he cant do something, he doesnt do it. Period. It drives me nuts sometimes, but normally Matt wont budge. HE. WILL. NOT. BUDGE. However, because we were trying to find the geo cache and the coordinates were sending us in the direction of the closed trail, Matt broke the rules (gasp!) The picture below is my documentation. Ha HA! Matt's expression in the picture cracks me up. Its the look of forced, exaggerated, uncomfortable ease.



I had to get a shot of Matt's legs. (((swoon)) I joke with people that I married Matt because of his muscular legs. While its not exactly the truth I do find them sooooo attractive. They were the first thing I noticed when we met - that and his feet.






Happy Thursday. :)

Pssst... the next two days are big birthday days here in Casa McGarvey. Just sayin'.

3 comments:

  1. Pictures are making me so jealous. Love Palomar Mountain and watching the boys enjoy mother nature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics from what looks like a great day, Lisa. Thanks for sharing! Enjoy the birthdays!

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt broke A rule? The universe will never be the same. What next? Will he rip the tags off all the pillows? Wash the tighty whiteys with the colors?
    I Love this Blog. I love knowing Matt has such a great family and that you two are creating such wonderful memories for the boys. Most of all though I have to admit that whole rule breaking thing made my day! 39 years of compliance down the tubes - Happy Birthday Matt! Love You all.

    ReplyDelete