Sunday, December 13, 2009

Happy... Happy...


Today is my mom's birthday.
I have no idea how old she is, but Seamus has just informed me that he thinks she's 65. Is he close, Mom?
What do I say about mom?
-She's private. I imagine she will not be thrilled to see her picture on my blog this morning.
-She's a hard worker and reliable.
-I believe she was an outstanding mom raising me. She understood me very well as a kid/teenager and was able to influence me in very positive ways. Its funny how I didnt really understand how good she was until I became a mother myself. She was like OZ behind the curtain - calling all the shots without me knowing it. She was strict and uncompromising, but I knew she loved me. She used to always say "I show you I love you in my actions" and that is true.
-She also used to say to me "Life's not fair, babes." Also, true.
-Mom passed down to me her love for Volkswagons and major league baseball.
-Mom always gives very reasonable, sound advice.
-Mom is often the person I still want to run to when Im feeling upset and desperate.
-She's not one to give praise often so when you get some from her, its a big deal.
-Mom doesnt like to get her picture taken and yet she spent my childhood taking pictures of us.
-She's a teacher - the vocation of her life.
-Mom was a "daddy's girl" but my grandmother has told me repeatedly this week that she couldnt live without her.
-Mom is very generous but not in a touchy, feely way.
-She taught me to love my family, my culture and my faith.
-Mom does not like pets.
-I think she was absolutely thrilled to have only daughters.
-Mom is the voice in my head and 99% of the time that is a very good thing.

I love you, Mom.
Happy birthday. :)

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to your mom from me! However, she might spank you when she sees you because I think you are way off on her age!

    ReplyDelete
  2. she looks like a beautiful, happy & peaceful woman. happy birthday, lisa's mom! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think she is that old! I am a day late but Happy Birthday Teri!

    ReplyDelete