Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Warning - Aggressive Coyote in Area



Ive lived the majority of my 38 years here in Vista. Coyotes are a part of life here. When you grow up in Vista, chances are you've had a dog or cat killed by a coyote. Chances are you've heard them yip yapping in the night. Chances are you've seen a scrawny looking coyote (or two) in the early morning as you drive to school. Coyotes are not unusual in these parts, but they mostly stick to night time activities when everyone is asleep.

In all my years in Vista, I have never seen a sign like the one posted above. (see photo) That sign popped up one day in a neighborhood between my parent's house and my own. Aggressive Coyote In Area. So interesting... so peculiar. I cant help but wonder what prompted the owner of that sign to put it up. It must have been something pretty bad. Did the coyote attack him? Ive never heard of a coyote attacking a human in this area. Or did he just eat someone's dog? Sadly, eaten pets are very common in this area. It seems like every month signs pop up searching for small dogs. Chihuahuas, mini pinchers, dachshunds, and pugs. I hate to say it but when I see those signs, I usually shake my head and think to myself "Dude... your dog is not lost, its gone. Eaten."

Its possible it was something super serious. Maybe the coyote is crazy from rabies. Usually that kind of thought would never enter my mind, but Im haunted by a recent podcast I heard on This American Life where a woman in upstate New York got attacked by a rabid raccoon. She said the raccoon seemed totally and completely possessed - very aggressive and apparently immune to any pain she and her husband inflicted on it with knives and hammers. Yeah... knives and hammers! Im not exaggerating. Knives and freaking hammers. Crazy.

Could the coyote this person is warning us about be rabid? Jinkies! That's kind of nutty.

4 comments:

  1. Agressive Coyotes!!!! Oh no.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lions, and tigers and bears! Oh my!!! Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore. But seriously, rabies is something to think about. We had a problem with rabid skunks in West Texas and they were not afraid of anything. Also came out during the day. Be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As soon as I can catch the Road Runner, I will send him to you to take care of this problem!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok, i was going to post the other day, that we saw a baby coyote just last weekend on our hill behind our house. like, the one RIGHT behind our house. it was amazingly close. we see them often, but it doesnt matter, it always surprises me. tara

    ReplyDelete