Friday, January 9, 2009

Joy To the World - Epiphany Pageant.



Matt and I enrolled the boys into a new school this year. Its the same school that I attended as a girl - a kinder through eighth grade Catholic school in town. It has been a HUGE change for us. There have been lots of challenges, especially for the boys. But they've handled them well and they're adjusting better with each day.

One of the many cool things about their new school is the annual Christmas pageant... excuse me, Epiphany pageant. As I said earlier this is the same school that my sisters and I attended, but when we were there they called it a Christmas pageant. It used to take place in December, the week before we left for Christmas break. The Epiphany pageant actually happens when we come back from break - around the time of the Epiphany which is January 6th. When I innocently questioned the reason for the change I was told that Catholics are supposed to celebrate the birth of Jesus up to the Epiphany - not the lead up to the 25th. Oooo-kay. But last night before the show, our principal further explained that having the pageant after Christmas allowed everyone to enjoy it more. There isnt the rush, there's less stress, AND it goes along with the Catholic liturgical year.

Honestly...I just wanted to see my boys dressed up like shepherds or wise men. Im being totally serious. Don't all parents want to experience that? I dont really care if they call it "Spectacular Spectacular" in February. I just want to experience a Nativity type play from the parent perspective.

For the past 5 years, our kids haven't participated in a Christmas pageant. Seamus did once when he was in preschool but Finn never has. In public school, they dont do that kind of thing anymore, at least not around here. I understand the reasons surrounding that decision so it never really bothered me. At least, I didnt think it bothered me. You cant really miss what you've never actually experienced. I had never experienced seeing my boys standing up in church wearing angel smocks so it wasnt a huge deal to me.

But now its different. As of last night, I have experienced a Christmas type pageant and it was awesome!

The highlight? For sure, it was Seamus and his fifth grade class (see photo above.) The Christmas pageant, err, I mean Epiphany pageant was called "Christmas in Egypt" and it focused on Jesus being born and spending his first year in Egypt. Seamus' class dressed up like Egyptians and sang a song to the tune of "Louie Louie" (yeah... Im not joking. Louie, Louie.) There was a little skit with Pharaoh before their song and then it was showtime.

Let me interject here for a moment by saying that in the weeks leading up to the show, both me and Dama Shan (Matt's mother) asked Seamus several times to share with us the song that his class was doing for the pageant. He woudlnt do it. We both asked him a few times and every time he flatly denied our request.

So back to the pageant: the lights are low, the skit is over and Seamus is front row, center. He's the smallest kid in the class (among the boys and the girls) so of course he was right up front. He looked a little nervous but Ive seen him look worse, so I wasnt concerned. There were seven of us in the audience waiting on pins and needles - my parents, my sister Miranda, Dama Shan, my grandma Nena, Matt and me. The music cued up and the kids began singing, but thats not all they did: they danced. SEAMUS DANCED! He wasnt just doing some dorky toe tap number either. Seamus was fully moving his hips and arms and doing this sort of rhythmic swaying thing. Truth be told, it wasnt pretty. Matt later said Shea kind of reminded him of Elaine from a Seinfeld episode. But dude... it was amusing and stunning and soooooooo unforgettable for me. I think more than anything, I felt shock watching him up there. I would have never expected to see him do that - certainly not in front of a packed church on a raised platform in the front row. We all sat there with our jaws on the ground - except maybe my sister Miranda who was laughing most of the time.

They told us earlier in the week that there would be a DVD we could buy of the pageant for $15. I honestly didnt think twice about buying it. Why would I? Now I have a reason. Im am soooooooooo buying that DVD. Its worth every penny to see my boy bust a move.

No comments:

Post a Comment