Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Taking Care of Business - Cleaning


Tuesdays I dont have to be at the kids' school. Its one of only two free days I have during the week. Usually I spend this day running errands and catching up on general family business. Today Im focusing on some serious cleaning/reorganizing.

On the list:
- kitchen floor. This is going to be tough. Our kitchen floor is by far the most walked through surface in the house. It gets dirty in minutes. I sweep/vacuum the area several times a week, but it never looks clean to me. I think I might actually get down on my hands and knees to scrub that floor. I wonder if the effort will be worth it. Its doubtful.

-Clothes and Laundry. Matt is the laundry guy in our household. Im very grateful to him for taking over my most hated chore, but he often gets behind. Its understandable. Today, Im going to push through a couple loads and try to separate some of the clothes out for goodwill.

- The boys rooms. I started this clean up duty yesterday without them knowing. heh heh heh. It helps to go in stealth style because I usually throw away a ton of their stuff without them knowing. No... its not mean! Its necessary. Trust me, its nothing they'll miss. Its trash. The boys have inherited their father's pack rat habits and its absolutely necessary for me to infiltrate their rooms from time to time and get all that useless crap out. To their credit, the boys will clean their rooms when asked, but mostly they just move stuff around. Usually they will pick everything off the floor and either stuff it under the bed or stack it up on desks and beds. Yesterday I focused on the beds - cleaning under both and changing out/washing the linens. It was absolutely disgusting under those beds - way worse than I ever dreamed. I hasten to admit this but under Seamus' bed I found both an old container of half eaten frosting ( you know the kind you buy already made) and an open bag of partially eaten brownie mix. Yeah. Boys are disgusting, or at least Seamus is. Anyway, today Im going to continue the purge - going through their drawers and cubbies. Then Im going to do the floors, dust and declare my war on the boys' rooms won.

- Light Dusting/Vacuum. I might start off my day with this chore. Its not as labor intensive and it will get me moving. I should dust and vacuum every day, but I dont. I vacuum several times a week, but I dont dust nearly as much as I should. We have a cat and he leaves an unbelievable amount of hair all over our wonderful house. I hate it. I know "hate" is a strong word and my mom taught me to find alternatives like "loathe" and "despise" to describe my displeasure but truly, I hate the hair and other crappy offshoot issues (cat litter, cat smell, etc) of owning a cat. If I could find another home for that cat tomorrow, I would do it in a heartbeat.

So yeah. That is my list for today. Im supposed to go to lunch with some friends. I don't think Im going to make it. I better get working. Wish me luck.

Happy Tuesday.

3 comments:

  1. Living in a house full of packrats and boys - poor Lisa. I can't imagine where Matt and the boys got that from.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kris: You can't imagine? I remember your room and...well...let's just say the boys have nothing on you!

    BTW. In addition to the things she listed above, Lisa also helped me to hang Seamus' door (I took it off to paint it) and helped Finn with his new Lego set. What a wonderful wife!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. here is a little helpful hint that might make your kitty like you more....my husband installed a kitty door out to the garage where the cat box is enclosed in yet another small wooden box attached to the wall....that way the litter box is NOT in the house but the cat cannot get hurt out in the garage by all the stuff that happens out there :) might give it a shot..........:)

    ReplyDelete