Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Ode to Rufus.


Im switching the playlist today. I know its a long time coming. I apologize. This next playlist is one Ive wanted to do for a very long time. Im going to call it "Rufus Schmufus" and its a list of my favorite songs by Rufus Wainwright.

I first heard about Rufus through my friend Jen Wohlenberg. We were driving out to Arizona for a scrapbook convention and we listened to him a lot during the drive. She told me that I might have heard him sing "Hallelujah" on the Shrek soundtrack. It didnt ring a bell at the time, so she popped in some of his music for me to hear. I quickly fell in love with his melodious, theatrical style and his quirky, unique voice.

Some things I love about Rufus:

- Many of his songs can transport me to another place. If I close my eyes during Barcelona, for example, I lift up into another world that is rural and fresh and warm. This happens to me with many of his songs. I think listening to his songs with my eyes closed is a different experience than with them open. I get lost in the music and the pictures/feelings it brings me.

- he plays the piano a lot and I love the piano. Love love love. He also includes a lot of strings, including the cello. I love the sound of a cello. Actually, his arrangements in general should be highlighted. He melds all these beautiful sounds and instruments together and I find it so alluring and different and beautiful.

-His melodies are often very different than the regular music you hear on the radio. Like, you probably woudnt hear his music on the radio. The melodies are languid and broad. They roam and dont always do what you would expect. To me, they're brilliant.

- This isnt musically related, but Rufus is adorable. I saw an interview with him once and I was so happy to see that his personality seemed to match his music. He's quirky. He has this laugh that is droll and abrupt. He seemed confident and audacious and totally at ease in his own skin.

1. Poses - Poses
2. The Art Teacher - Want Two
3. Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk - Poses
4. Beauty Mark - Rufus Wainwright
5. Nobody's Off the Hook - Release the Stars
6. Chlesea Hotel No. 2 - Leonard Cohen: Im Your Man
7. Peach Trees - Want Two
8. Going To A Town - Release the Stars
9. Dinner at Eight - Want One
10. Across the Universe - Poses
11. Barcelona - Rufus Wainwright
12. Memphis Skyline - Want Two
13. Oh What A World - Want One
14. The Maker Makes - Brokeback Mountain Soundtrack
15. Go or Go Ahead - Want One

It goes without saying that I will burn a copy for Jennifer, my sister. That's how I show her my love - I make her music cds. However, if anyone else wants a copy, let me know and I'll send it out to you. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment