Friday, May 8, 2009

Damnit, Matt! You've done it again.

Gladiator
Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring, Two Towers and Return of the King
Master and Commander
300

What do all these movies have in common? They are all movies Matt dragged me to watch - sometimes kicking and screaming - but in the end I enjoyed immensely. Today he did it again. The movie: Star Trek.

In my defense, I was pretty sure I was going to enjoy Star Trek. I could tell from the previews that it would appeal to a wide audience. It was a big budget movie and generally those go over pretty well with me. The cast looked great and the dude playing Kirk was hot. You see, my issue with Star Trek wasn't that I wouldnt be entertained; it was that we dont have a lot of money right now and we dont get to see movies very often. I didnt want to spend what little time and money we had watching a movie I wasnt dying to see. I love movies and I dont get to see them nearly as much as I'd like to. When I actually get to see and adult film - not one that is animated or geared for children - I want it to be fabulous. When Matt talked about seeing Star Trek, I didnt get the impression it would be fabulous. It totally seemed like a movie Matt would love - but not me.

I was wrong. Star Trek was awesome! It was thrilling to see the old characters on the big screen, but cast with new, contemporary actors. The characters of James Kirk and Spock were particularly well developed. It was neat to see their relationship unfold on the screen. Every time a new character was introduced, Matt and I looked at each other with giddy excitement. They were all there: Sulu, Scotty, Ahura and Chekov. The actor that played Dr McCoy was fantastic. He mastered so many of McCoy's mannerisms and facial expressions. There were so many times during the movie where Matt or I chuckled over some old Star Trek reference. There were many. I thought the story was compelling and entertaining - not too cerebral but not totally devoid of intelligence either.

Maybe we can take the boys to see it this weekend. Im pretty sure they'd enjoy it and Id love to see it again. Does that make me a trekkie dork? Maybe, but Im going to own it. Take my word for it - its a good movie.

2 comments:

  1. Just had to comment. I've always enjoyed/looked for your work in the 2Peas Garden and finally found your blog--perhaps through Tara Whitney? Anyway, I feel exactly the same way about movies. We only get to see a few grown-up ones a year (birthdays and anniversary?), so I want them to really be good. And there are a few I must see on big screen, Harry Potter, James Bond. My husband and I were (Next Gen, Deep Space 9) Star Trek fans, just finished BattleStar Galatica...so I knew I'd see the movie. But now I'm super excited to see it--maybe it will be my 40th bday (ugh) movie in June. Fun to read your review. Hope your Mother's Day was your perfect kind of day. amy in OR

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like your husband has good taste - i own all those movies!

    my bday was the 6th & we always plan a movie & dinner. my man is a big trek fan so i really didn't get a say so, but i knew this would be good & there's really nothing better than a packed theater for a great action movie, seriously!

    ps i'm a big fan of your scrappin abilities, very inspired by your work!

    ReplyDelete