Saturday, May 23, 2009

Ooohhh oh! Living on A Prayer!

One of the things this blog has done for me is made me realize that the boys, Matt and I have a pretty full and rich life. I suppose I knew that before, but when you have a blog that (in theory) should be updated with the highlights of your life, you grasp the idea quickly that staying on top of updated posts is vital to getting it all down. Truth is we do a lot of neat stuff as a family. For someone who prefers to stay home, this has been a surprising realization. Its been a challenge to keep up, but Im doing my best.

This past Friday was a fun first: Performing Arts Night at St. Francis School. When I attended St Francis we acted out a play each year. Actually, we didnt do them every year, but we did a handful when I was a kid. These days they dont do drama, but they do have Performing Arts Night. All the students preschool thru eighth grade make a skit or sing or dance with their class and the families line up hours before the show to get a good spot on the lawn in order to watch. It reminded me a lot of the Moonlight Amphitheater here in Vista. The set up was similar. Families laid out blankets and dined on the lawn before the show. It was really crowded and the weather was perfect. It was neat to see so many St. Francis families together doing something fun and lively and social. I didnt really know what to expect when the day began, but I ended up really enjoying the night. It was the perfect "end of the school year" kind of function.

The theme of the Performing Arts night was was Music through the Years. Each class took on a different decade or genre of music. Seamus's fifth grade class tackled the 70s by dancing and singing to Alice Cooper's "School's Out." As can be expected, the kids really got into the song. It was a hoot to watch. Just as we did with the Epiphany play, my family and I were surprised and entertained to see Seamus dancing choreographed moves and singing on stage with his class. It is something I get such a kick out of it because I honestly never imagined my son would enjoy doing such a thing. He truly seemed to be having a ball. Seamus' class also sang "Im a Little Bit Country/Im a Little Bit Rock and Roll" with their first grade buddies. That song wasnt as animated as the "School's Out" performance, but it was cute all the same.



Finn's class's genre was the 80s and they sang Bon Jovi's "Living On A Prayer." Somehow, Finn was selected as the guitarist for the group and therefore didnt do all the dance moves with the rest of the class. Instead, he had to look cool while playing his fake guitar. I had sell used uniforms the hours prior to the performance, so it was Matt's job to make sure Finn looked the part of an 80s iconic guitarist. He pulled it off marvelously. Finn looked amazing! He has spikey hair and metal studded belts across his chest. When his classmates saw his costume they showered him with compliments and give him high fives. His performance was fun to watch too. I dont think Finn particularly enjoys performing in front of a lot of people. He's much shyer than his brother and gets visibly nervous before any kind of event. But he did great. I was proud of him for getting up there and rockin' the house!


I was grateful that my parents and Miranda were able to join us for the performance. I love it when my family is able to attend the boys' various activities and functions. It makes me feel special that they go out of their way to support us even when they are in the midst of planning a huge birthday party the next day (see next blog post.) Thanks Mom, Dad and Miranda for coming. :)

3 comments:

  1. This looks like so much fun - wish I had been there. and Finn looks great.
    Love You all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. matt did AWESOME with finn.
    i love this post and the pics so much.
    you guys do indeed spend a lot of quality family time together! we need to work on that over here.
    tara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog! The boys are always amazing all of us with the way they perform at these things.
    Can't wait to get out there and see all of you!

    ReplyDelete