Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Padres Game!!!

We are big Padres fans here in Casa McGarvey so when I heard there would be a Catholic School's Night at Petco Park, I jumped on it. The tickets were toted as being "fantastic seats" so I called my parents and some friends and invited them to join us for the game. There is a rich tradition of Porters attending Padres games on Catholic School's Night. I distinctly remember going to Padres games with St. Francis School when I as a kid. We always had a great time with the Hemenez, Turner and Kubli families. It seemed to me that at baseball games us kids had a lot more freedom than at home. Our parents kept to themselves and the kids got to have fun without their constant glare. In fact, I remember walking around Jack Murphy Stadum with my friends sans parents. Can that be true? I remember eating hot dogs and cracker jacks and cotton candy. We used to know all the players names. Gosh, those were great times. Because of my childhood, I was excited to continue the tradition of Catholic Schools Night with my own family and friends.

The cool thing about going to Catholic School's Night is that the boys and I got to walk on the field before the game. It was pretty thrilling. They took volunteers from each of the schools attending and we all walked down the warning track in the out field proceeding the National Anthem. There were about 150 students and chaperones. Im fairly confident I was the most excited McGarvey on that field. Seamus was pretty enthusiastic, but Finn was scared. He didnt want to do it, but I made him. Bad Mama! In actuality, he was super cute. As we waited in the tunnel leading to the infield, Finn was holding my hand so tight. He didnt want me to go anywhere without him. But once we got on the grass, I think he enjoyed himself.

The Padres won the game we attended (killing a 9 game losing streak) and they went on to sweep Cincinnati in the series. I think we were good luck. :)

Here are some more pics.
Me and Tina Huelsman. Not the best shot of us.
My mom looking like she'd rather be at a Dodger game.
Seamus and Ryan Huelsman
Jeremey Huelsman and Finn

No comments:

Post a Comment