Friday, April 24, 2009

Wisdom from Andy Rooney

No. No. No. You're at the right place. This is my blog. Dont be afraid by the picture of the elderly gentleman. Today a friend sent me a chain email with words written by Andy Rooney. While I usually dont appreciate receiving chain emails, I actually enjoyed this one. Instead of sending it out to all my friends as requested, I thought Id post it here with some of my thoughts.



I've learned..... That the best classroom in the world is at the feet of an elderly person.
I absolutely, 100% agree with this first point. I wonder if I would have continued reading if I hadnt had agreed with it so much. I guess Im lucky because I really love elderly people. I do. I love spending time with them. I love their soft hands. I love hearing their stories. I often wish that instead of children I had an elderly person to care for instead. God, I could really benefit from that.

I've learned..... That when you're in love, it shows.

I've learned..... That just one person saying to me, 'You've made my day!' makes my day.

I've learned..... That having a child fall asleep in your arms is one of the most peaceful feelings in the world.
Its been a long time but I do remember this feeling and Rooney is right - its one of the most peaceful feelings in the world. One of the few memories I have of Finn as an infant is rocking him to sleep in the middle of the night after feedings. We had this little routine where Matt would feed Finn while I pumped for the next feeding. We'd put down Finn together and then go to bed. There were some times however, when I rocked him to sleep and the memories are so beautiful to me now. Im thankful I can still remember those times after 8 years.

I've learned..... That being kind is more important than being right.
Can I get an AMEN on this one? I believe this is one of those classic truisms you can only truly appreciate after much experience and/or beyond a certain age. But man, its so truuuuuuuue! There is such wisdom in hanging up your pride for the sake of being kind. If you had told me this adage as a teenager, it would have been lost on me. Ditto for my early 20s. But now in my late 30s, I soooo get it. I should have this written somewhere big in my house.

I've learned..... That you should never say no to a gift from a child.

I've learned..... That I can always pray for someone when I don't have the strength to help him in some other way.

I've learned..... That no matter how serious your life requires you to be, everyone needs a friend to act goofy with.

I've learned..... That sometimes all a person needs is a hand to hold and a heart to understand.

I've learned..... That simple walks with my father around the block on summer nights when I was a child did wonders for me as an adult.

I've learned..... That life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.

I've learned..... That we should be glad God doesn't give us everything we ask for.

I've learned..... That money doesn't buy class.

I've learned..... That it's those small daily happenings that make life so spectacular.
True that! I think that's one of the reasons I value scrapbooking so much. I can capture those small moments forever.

I've learned.... That under everyone's hard shell is someone who wants to be appreciated and loved.

I've learned..... That to ignore the facts does not change the facts.

I've learned..... That when you plan to get even with someone, you are only letting that person continue to hurt you.

I've learned..... That love, not time, heals all wounds.
Very interesting Mr. Rooney. Im looking forward to learning more about this one.

I've learned..... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.

This one made my eyes grow wide with excitement. Wouldnt that be fantastic - to surround yourself with the most brilliant minds in the world. A Lisa McGarvey think tank, if you will. Just from a learning perspective Id so get off on that experience. I honestly cant imagine what doors might be opened in my heart and head. But you know, this reverse of this statement is a little freaky: the easiest way to stunt growth is to surround yourself with ignorant people. Wow. How profound and also scary. Very very scary.

I've learned.... That everyone you meet deserves to be greeted with a smile.
Good reminder.

I've learned..... That no one is perfect until you fall in love with them.

I've learned.... That life is tough, but I'm tougher.

I've learned..... That opportunities are never lost, someone will take the ones you miss.

I've learned..... That when you harbor bitterness, happiness will dock elsewhere.

I've learned..... That I wish I could have told my Mom that I love her one more time before she passed away.

I've learned..... That one should keep his words both soft and tender, because tomorrow he may have to eat them.

I've learned..... That a smile is an inexpensive way to improve your looks.
Ok... this one really hit home with me. Im 38 years of age and while Im not necessarily old, I am well past my best years, physically speaking. I am feeling my age when I wake up in the morning. Im feeling my age when I hold my neice Abbey for and hour or more. And, more to the point, I see my life's experience drawn out in the lines of my face. Ive become quite self conscious about it recently and its not a nice feeling. But this statement is true. A smile - especially a genuine smile - always makes an impact. It cuts right through any sun damage or wrinkles or scars or acne that might also share your face. I need to remember this one today.

I've learned..... That when your newly born grandchild holds your little finger in his little fist, that you're hooked for life.

I've learned..... That everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it.
Aaaaahhhh. So true. In fact, I just heard Miley Cyrus (and I dont even have girls in my house) singing about this exact same thing on the radio. Who knew!

I've learned..... That the less time I have to work with, the more things I get done.
Boy aint that the truth. I learned this one in college. When I took 20 units a quarter, was working 25+ hours a week and had extra curricular commitments, the shit got done, pardon my French. I dont know how, but it did. I think with me, fear is a motivator. I was afraid I coudlnt get it all accomplished - that it was, in fact, impossible to get done. So I gave it everything I had and by God it worked. Maybe its like that for most people. I know its true for me.

2 comments:

  1. LOVED this post....I am officially caught up on all your blog posts now and LOVE you even though I dont know you :) I followed Tara Whitney's link to your blog and have always been an admirer of your scrapbooking....i may have to copy you on this post...there are too many things to live by in this one not to share....is that creepy?? I hope not....you seem like a really cool gal :) i loved reading all of your mom perspective on a house filled with boys because my house is filled with girls :) have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning, I followed Tara Whitney's blog to yours, and have enjoyed reading the most current entry. In the process of google'ing it to find a version without comments, I discovered this:

    http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/learned.asp

    Snopes can be such a killjoy! Still love the list, and it really brought some sunshine to my morning. Thanks for sharing your sweet family with the lurking world of internets.

    Banannie

    ReplyDelete