Tuesday, April 21, 2009

All is Calm... All is Bright.


photo taken at home, the morning Seamus left for camp. 4/20

Its been approx. 24 hours since Seamus left for camp.
Life has been eerily uneventful. Our lives sail along quietly without him. Very mellow and easy. Very relaxed and devoid of tension. One thing is clear: Matt, Finn and I are three very boring people without Seamus around. Im not sure if thats a good thing or bad.

I wanted to share my thoughts on yesterday's departure. I think many things came into play that enabled Seamus to leave without incident or problems. First off: ME. :) I was counseled by some very experienced and smart people. Their advice was sound: if your voice starts to quiver, smile and dont talk. Wear sunglasses. No "Im going to miss you." No "I'll be thinking of you every day." No prolonged goodbyes or last minute reminders. Exude confidence. Smile a lot.

It worked. Not only was Seamus at ease, but I was too. Trying to seem confident made me actually feel confident. Who knew?

Another person who played a big role in his successful departure was his teacher, Mrs. Skraby. When Matt and I showed up yesterday monring, I greeted Mrs Skraby with a "Are you ready for this? " Her response was "Oh yes. Ive done this so many times. We're ready." Again... confidence. Then she added "Its the parents Im worried about. I had to actually pry some part once." Eeeekkk. The class schedule yesterday morning was set: mass first thing in the morning, loading of the gear onto the bus and lastly, a short meeting - students only - with Mrs. Skraby in the classroom. There were about 20 parents hanging out by the chartered bus ready for goodbyes. Some had cameras like me. One parent in particular seemed very, very anxious. We all stood around nervously chit chatting... waiting. After about 10 minutes, the kids came out from their meeting and made a bee line to the bus. No one stopped for hugs or kisses. There were no tears or heartfelt goodbyes. There was no time! The kids literally waved to us as they quickly jumped on the bus. It reminded me of watching a parade - lots of smiles and waves while in concerted motion. Ah ha! That Mrs Skraby is one smart cookie.

Seamus was the first out of the classroom. He practically ran to the bus. At the top of the stairs, he looked at me directly and waved. That was the picture I posted yesterday. He looked happy, excited. There was not an ounce of trepidation in his face and for that I was very grateful.

6 comments:

  1. So glad things went so well - I well remember my first time even though it was many,many years ago.It's hard to watch them grow up and be able to function o.k. without us.(even for a couple of days) But the years have been good to me and I have great,loving kids who grew up confident and independent - and they still love me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, I have been a huge fan of yours for years. I love your work on 2peas. Many times I would ask (beg) for you to get a blog on Tara's blog...today she posted a link to YOUR BLOG!!! I am so excited. I also have 2 boys. I loved the video Tara had on her blog. Beautiful. I can't wait to go back and start from the beginning on this blog...woo hoo :-)
    Nicki

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited to learn that you have a blog. I'm so horrible about keeping it touch, but I can't wait to see your darling family and wonderful art.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember when my oldest left for camp the first time...great pictures Lisa- and I loved the video that is up on Tara's blog- it is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is it bad that I didn't even take a picture of Grant before he left? I guess because I was busy consoling the mom crying hysterically because her only child was getting on the bus. Ouch, that's a lonely five days. Her daughter didn't shed a tear. Hmmm.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, posting from Australia - just saw your family's movie from Tara's blog - great music that matches the equally great emotions from the movie. Hope you are going along ok without your eldest at camp.

    ReplyDelete