Friday, April 3, 2009

Its the Little Things that Make My Day

On the way home from school today Finn confessed to me that he was a little afraid of the book we've been reading at night. I felt so badly about this! Im usually pretty careful about choosing books to read and this particular book was one I thought they'd both enjoy. The book is called The Bad Beginning and its the first book in a series called A Series of Unfortunate Events.

I will admit, its a dark book. Not adult dark - kid dark. The style of writing reminds me of Roald Dahl and is sooooo fun to read aloud. Personally, I was really enjoying the book, but I told Finn we didnt need to finish it. If he was afraid, we could pick another book and start it tomorrow. At this point Seamus muscled his way into the conversation. He was mad and interjected "But thats not fair! I love the book! Finn's such a baby. He ruins everything!" Then the fighting began: Seamus calling names, Finn in near tears. Bicker, argue, whine. We finally came to a compromise. I would finish the book for Seamus (we are only 2 chapters from the end) and Finn could pick the next book to read. Also, Finn didnt need to listen to the end of the book. He could stay out with Dadoo and read with him. Even though I bought the book in a set of four, I told Finn we would not read the rest.

By the time we got home, things had cleared up. The boys were fine - friends again. Finn ran over to the computer and Seamus disappeared into the back of the house. I assumed he went to the bathroom - something he does often upon returning home from school. I had to finish something on my computer so all three of us immediately preoccupied ourselves in solitary activity. After about 15 minutes, I realized it was super quiet. Too quiet. I didnt hear a thing: not the kids talking, not the computer music from the game I assumed they were playing. Nothing. Now I realize that some would criticize me for not enjoying a good thing, but in my house that kind of silence is rarely good. I checked down the hall and into Seamus' room. Finn was still on the computer, but Seamus wasnt. I looked in the next room and found him in our bed. Look:



He was reading the Unfortunate Events book. When he saw me watching he said "Im just going to finish it up now. Im almost done. That way FInn doesnt have to hear it and get scared." I gave him a big, sappy Mama smile to which he replied in an exasperated tone "I know... you're proud of me, right?"

Yes. Im proud of you.

3 comments:

  1. Just when you're ready to give him away, he pulls the lovable Seamus! See what I meant earlier?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know Barb! This happened within the hour of me messaging you back on FB. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. IM PROUD OF YOU TOO SHAYMITO! :)
    (i have no idea how your momma spells that)

    that reminds me of something drew would do. such a great way to compromise!
    tara

    ReplyDelete