Wednesday, April 1, 2009

And I Will Raise You Up On The Last Day



Last summer at the Del Mar Fair the boys won a goldfish. You know that carnival game where you throw ping pong balls at small, rotating cups? They won the goldfish there. We were all surprised that the fish survived the summer. Usually those little fish die within days. Not true for our fish. It was alive and kicking months after it arrived in Casa McGarvey.

Segue to this weekend. Matt came home from the camp out with Finn and noticed the fish was not well. Its water was very cloudy and it floated motionless and on one side towards the bottom of the tank. In my mind the fish, whom we had not even given the decency of naming, was dead. It hadnt floated to the surface yet, but it was clearly on its way to that big carnival fishbowl in the sky. I suggested to Matt that he flush it. I think my exact words were "Put it out of its misery. Flush it." I figured that was the humane thing to do. The fish had surpassed all our expectations at life expectancy. Its number was up. Matt however would not entertain the thought of flushing it. In fact, he denied that it was dying at all and pointed out that the fish's mouth was still puckering, albiet very slowly.

Here is a close up of our fish that day. Now you tell me, does it look dead to you?



Matt quickly switched the fish into new water and began cleaning its small tank. He gave the fish a little bit of food and then began the vigil of watching the fish struggle to live. Matt sat in front of the fish for like 45 minutes. I imagine if i could have heard his thoughts, he would be praying to God to save the fish. This entire scene was totally confusing to me. I couldnt understand why Matt was carrying on about the fish. He was obviously alarmed at the thought of the fish dying, and yet clearly it was going to die. While I expect this kind of behavior from Seamus, it freaked me out coming from Matt.

And that leads me to Seamus. Seamus was very upset at seeing the fish in its dying state. If I had had my way, I wouldnt have brought any of this stuff to his attention. The boys barely noticed the fish most days and I was hoping that Matt and I could have discarded the fish without them realizing anything had happened. I was sure the fish would not be missed by them. But when Matt started freaking out and putting into motion his plan for saving the fish, Seamus caught on and began to cry. I tried to comfort him saying that everything dies in time and that this fish had lived a relatively long life. Seamus, like his father, wouldnt listen to me. He ran into his room and brought out three things for Matt's vigil : his rosary, his boonkie (also known as his baby blanket) and an obsidian icon I bought him from the pyramids near Mexico City. When I bought the icon at Teotichuacan, I was told that the Mexican obsidian had magical healing properties. It was obvious that Seamus brought it out to save the fish. Good grief! Honestly, at this point I could have killed Matt. My poor son believed the fish was going to live and its no wonder considering how his father was acting! When I went to bed that night, I was irritated. Something so simple was now becoming complicated. Why couldnt they both stop with the drama and just let the poor fish die in peace?

When I woke up the following morning I was fully expecting the fish to be floating on the top of the water, but it wasnt. HE WAS ALIVE! Matt smiled smugly at me and stated matter of factly "Of course he's alive, Lisa. I told you! Poor fish. If it were up to you he'd be dead in the sewer." I went over to the tank to look at it more closely. I couldnt believe it: the fish was swimming normally, not lifeless on one side, and it was hovering on the side of the tank where the Mexican icon was placed. I know it sounds crazy, but the fish seemed to be transfixed by it - swimming directly in front of where the icon stood. Odelay! It was the icon! The icon brought the fish back to life! This isnt the first time an animal has acted strangely around the icon. Thomas, Seamus' spotted gecko acts the same way when the icon is placed near his aquarium. He will come out of hiding and just stare at the icon for hours. Im being totally serious.

My people saved the fish! Heck... I saved the fish! My people unveiled the Mexican obsidian's healing powers and I brought the magic to Vista. Forget all that attention that Matt gave the fish upon seeing its failing state. Forget the prayers that surely he and Seamus made that night in the fish's honor. I am its savior! I am a miracle worker!

Or not. :)

6 comments:

  1. OMG, the fish lives! how cool is that? hehehe! that is great! i see you have a blog, i have always loved reading your stories/posts Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post had me laughing out loud! If it's any consolation, I would've have suggested flushing it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No doubt Mom or I would have flushed it but I can totally see Matt taking on the crazy vigil. When you got to the part about Seamus it made me cry to imagine how he would feel when the damn thing died. I had a lot of thoughts and had I been you Matt would have been sleeping with the fish.
    I don't know if was the prayers, the idol or just the pure faith Matt and Seamus had but if I ever get really sick please send all three.
    I wish a long and happy life to the fish - Maybe you shold name it now?
    Love Y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i need that icon.
    tara

    ReplyDelete
  5. A few notes for the record:
    1) The fish has a name...Seamus calls him "Fishy."
    2) Lisa had nothing to do with saving the fish.
    3) Sooner or later Seamus would have noticed that the fish was gone...it might have taken a few days, but he would have noticed.
    4) Seamus and I are happy to help heal anything that ails you, but it will cost you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. good job not flusing it matt.

    ReplyDelete