Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Run Forrest Run - 2010!


This past Saturday the boys participated in the countywide, Catholic school's track meet. Many schools from around the county come together for this once a year meet at Cathedral High School in San Diego. Last year was the kids' first time ever particpating in a track meet. This year, they kind of knew what to expect.

Seamus and Finn did mostly running events. Seamus ran the 400 relay and placed third in the county for the 1600. He was very proud because the long runs got medals as opposed to the ribbons won by the sprint races. Finner ran the 400 shuttle relay, the 50 yard sprint and the softball throw. His shuttle relay won first in the county for all third graders. We were soooo proud of him! After they won, Finn was walking around aimlessly down on the field with some of the other kids on the relay team. Parents arent allowed to be on the field unless they have a pass so I was up in the bleachers keeping an eye on him from afar. When I saw him receive his ribbon I got so excited that I yelled across to him to show me his ribbon. He heard my call but coudlnt see me amid the hundreds of parents in the stands. This is the shot I got of him. So cute!

When I was in elementary/middle school, I ran the annual track meet for St. Francis. It wasnt super fun for me, but I liked representing my school and hanging out with my friends. I look forward to the annual track meet with my boys because its neat to see them repeat the same events of my childhood. I hope that it is worthwhile for them and that they feel proud competing for their small school. That being said, track isnt really my thing. Its a long day and the past two years have been hot. We have to get up super early on a Saturday and then we hang around, for hours, semi engaged in what seems to be a very chaotic series of events. For Matt, however, attending the track meet with the boys is a joy! He competed in track during high school and college and I think being in that atmosphere brings back those old glory days for him. He loves the excitement of the meet. He loves the sights and sounds. Matt actually checks the times of the races as they finish and he has practical advice for the kids on their events. If the boys ever chose to continue with track in high school (or college) Im sure Matt would be thrilled and never miss a meet.

Im going to close this post with a picture of Seamus during the last sprint of his bronze medal, 1600 meter run. He had to run four laps around the track and at the end he got in a sprint war with a boy who was at least a foot and a half taller than him. It was such a rousing finish. When Seamus saw these pictures today (there is actually a series of them - all equally dramatic) Seamus gave a heavy sigh and merely said "I was so tired at the end. I could barely stand." He did alright, though. Both my boys did a great job. Matt and I are both super proud of their effort and strength.

Happy Wednesday.

4 comments:

  1. Wow - what great pictures!! So proud of both boys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh - what a moment you captured there, with that show of seamus! great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to both the boys! And wow, that last photo -- such a fantastic shot!

    My oldest, Cassidy (13), runs track and cross-country and I am so constantly impressed with all of those kids. It's a sport that takes as much mental endurance as it does physical endurance, and I am always so proud of the effort that they all put in. Running is just hard, you know? And for them to get out there and do it day after day, that takes real dedication.

    I saw a t-shirt once at a cross-country meet that said "Our sport is your sport's punishment" and I just loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That last picture is great, very David and Goliath

    ReplyDelete