Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy St. Patrick's Day!


Ive always loved St. Patricks Day. In my life, March 17th has always been a special day. I may only have a tiny bit of Irish blood in me, but every March 17th I celebrate with the best of them. The excitement of the day is contagious and I find myself wanting to stand and be counted among the many Irish Americans in this country. When I married Matt and took his name, in my head and heart it was "on like Donkey Kong". I was Irish - if only in name. But heck, with a name like Lisa McGarvey, no one would deny me going a little overboard on St. Patricks Day, would they? I think not. ;)

These days, the majority of my enthusiasm for St. Patrick's Day is thrown at my sons, Seamus and Finn. Almost every year I do something - even if its just taking shamrock cookies into their classrooms. In years past Ive made pots of gold for the boys to pass out at school. Ive been asked to read Irish legends and share the story of St. Patrick to their classmates. One year we made a rainbow craft with the kindergardeners. Whatever we do, I always try to make it fun. This year I made bead garlands for their classmates and when I dropped the boys off at their classrooms, Seamus' teacher invited me to stay. Unbeknownst to me, the sixth grade class was getting together with their third grade buddies for some St. Patrick's Day merriment. Mrs. Talbot made soda bread (it was delicious!) and told the kids about her family immigrating from Ireland to Boston. She talked to them about St. Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland and discussed how he brought many Irishmen to the Catholic faith. After a small craft, the kids went outside for a scavenger hunt of candy and "gold." I was so grateful she asked me to stay and thankfully I had my camera with me to snap some quick pictures.



The highlight of my morning was when Seamus got up and danced an Irish jig in front of the class. The sixth graders have been practicing Irish dancing for an upcoming school program and Mrs. Talbot asked for volunteers to demonstrate the style of dancing for the third graders. Two girls got up and began dancing along with the traditional music. When Mrs. Talbot asked if any boys would come up and dance, the class began chanting Seamus' name. This scared me at first. I felt bad for him and imagined him feeling unnecessary pressure. But Seamus didnt seem to mind. He smiled at me, walked willingly to the front of the class and began dancing with the girls. I seriously could not believe it! He didnt seem embarrassed or shy. In fact, he looked like a perfect little Irish boy - kicking up his knees and legs with the music. He completely blew my mind! I had no idea he could dance like that.

Whatever you do today, I wanted to wish you all a Happy St. Patrick's Day. And if per chance you are the celebrating type, feel free to have a green beer for me. :)

Happy Wednesday.

3 comments:

  1. Happy St. Patrick's Day, Lisa!
    I am 100% Irish, came to America when I was 3 years old (my Mom says I ran all the way - and I apologize to all those passengers on that Pan AM flight!)
    I can never remember which son is Shea and which is Finn - so Shea is the older one, right? but both are adorable in their Irish green!
    And what a step-dancer you have there - good for him for being brave to show off his stuff.
    It is a beautiful day in Chicago - sunny and up to 64 degrees today - I never had weather like this when i was little and had to march in the parade in my dance costume! But we'll take it!
    I miss my irish maiden name, why didn't i consider hyphonating it?
    Well have a great green day - and kudos for getting these pics posted, by like, what, noon your time? You ROCK!
    Cheers!!!
    -Karin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another unknown talent at the McGarvey house! Only wish I had been there to see the whole day!
    Love ya,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grandpa Walter would have been so proud!
    The last time I saw him was on St. Patrick's Day and he wore a hat very similiar to the one Seamus has on. We drank green milkshakes and sang Danny Boy.

    ReplyDelete