Monday, March 8, 2010

My Honor Student


Seamus wanst even 1.5 years old when I realized I needed to celebrate not only his major victories - like walking and talking and his first days of school- but his minor ones too. My road as a parent has not been easy or smooth sailing. Matt and I have been dealt some major challenges and obstacles we had no way of anticipating. We have set some benchmarks very high for our children, but we have also conceded that sometimes you need to celebrate and focus on the small victories. Life for us in Casa McGarvey is often about the little victories.

Last fall I began to see many subtle changes in my son that demonstrated a new found maturity. Seamus seemed to be more cooperative with me. He didnt fuss so much about the little things I asked him to do. He became more helpful around the house, often anticipating the things I needed done before I voiced them. He honestly seemed to try more than I had ever seen him do before. For the first time in my life as a parent, it seemed to me that Seamus wanted to reciprocate for all that he had been given. Instead of expecting without earning, Seamus began giving back.

I thought Shea's behavior was motivated by Christmas. I thought that the idea of Santa Claus and all the religious talk at school explained his change in behavior. Honestly, I didnt care what was motivating him. I didnt overthink it. Instead, I celebrated his behavior at every turn. I was so overjoyed to see this new, mature and conscientious boy emerge that I selfishly took what I was given. I enjoyed every minute of it and showered my oldest with constant praise. He deserved it.

To my surprise, Shea's good behavior didnt stop after Christmas. While some of the everyday helpfulness has died down a little bit, the overall maturity hasnt. Most recently, Shea's positive behavior has begun to show up in his school grades.

Last semester was tough for my new middle schooler. Seamus received a couple bad grades and Matt and I came down with some serious consequences. For the past few months there have been very few distractions between Seamus and his academic load. He goes to homework club everyday and he seems to have finally processed the connection between working hard and receiving good grades. He still has some off days, but for the most part his attitude and outlook has changed dramatically. On Friday, he got reinforcement for his hard work. St. Francis students were sent home progress reports for any grades C or under and for the first time since last year, Seamus didnt receive a progress report. People.... do you know what that means? That means that my 6th grader has all As and Bs right now! Im practically the parent of an honor student!!!

I am a little bit hesitant to post about all this on the blog. I know Seamus is going to have academic ups and downs all through middle and high school. But gosh darnit, this has to be celebrated! My son is naturally smart, but he never seemed to care about how his intelligence was reflected in his grades before this year. In the past few months Shea seems to have made a connection between giving his best effort and receiving good grades. Im not sure if he will pull off the As and Bs for the rest of the year, but I do know its possible. He can do it and he knows that now, too.

Happy freaking Monday, people! :)

7 comments:

  1. Karen Lee (karebear3@comcast.net)March 8, 2010 at 11:56 AM

    Congratulations to Seamus!
    I can totally relate... i too have a new middle schooler who is very bright but seems to not care how his grades reflect on him.
    But we keep working on it, I'm hoping his maturity and sense of responsibility kicks in soon.
    You must be very proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very proud and you are so right to celebrate even the small steps - It does matter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too am proud of Seamus, but equally proud of you and Matt for your perserverance! Enjoy this great time!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi lisa, i read your blog often, and just wondered what type of camera and lens you use? love the pics you've been posting lately! thanks!
    julie in ohio

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so proud of Seamus AND his parents for the hard work and perseverance. You are so right in celebrating this joyous moment. I aim to live that kind of celebration in my son's life. He is turning 10 years in a couple of weeks. How old is Seamus ?

    take care,

    danielle

    ReplyDelete
  6. very cool! Tell him congratulations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julie -
    The camera I use is a Canon 30D. Its a few years old but its still holding on. I doubt my husband will allow me to get another camera for a few more years so Im fine with it for now. The lens I used for all the pictures at the field is the Canon EF 85mm 1:18. I only own three lenses and this one is definitely the one that gives me the clearest shots. Surprisingly, its also the lens that I used the least. I love the clarity I get, but its a fixed lens and with my boys it isnt always ideal.

    ReplyDelete