Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Weekend Highlights.

Friday:
The kids' school had its first community function of the year: The Annual Chili Cookoff. Each grade submitted 2-3 chili recipes and the families were encouraged to come, socialize and eat. My dad, Miranda and Miranda's boyfriend Chris joined us in the night's festivities. We had a really good time and I was super thankful they were able to come. I didnt end up submitting an entry for the cookoff, but that didnt mean there was a lack of things for me to do regarding this event. On Thursday night, Matt and I were up late cooking 4 dozen cookies for the bake sale. I was also assigned various tasks that had to be done the day of the cook off. Im actually pretty grateful I didnt sign up to cook. I would have been totally stressed out.

The highlight of the night for me was watching the 6th and 7th grades students square dance.

Seamus informed me that his class had been practicing their dancing all week. He didnt seem overly enthusiastic about it, but that didnt surprise me. I imagined the prospect of square dancing in front of hundreds of people would not be something Seamus would enjoy. But I was wrong! All the kids, Seamus included, seemed to really love the square dancing. Im guessing they were out there for about 15-20 minutes and I never saw one kid looking glum or bored. In fact, they all seemed to get more into it as the dancing progressed. When the students first started, I could tell Seamus was a little nervous. His partner was a girl in his class named Ashley. Although they are friends, square dancing requires holding hands and dancing in close proximity at times. I think that fact made Seamus feel a little bit awkward. But after about 2 minutes, he had loosened up and seemed to be having a good time. It was super nice for me to see him in that light: carefree and enjoying himself, but not out of control.

Saturday:
We had an early soccer game in Del Mar Saturday morning. I thought the traveling that club soccer teams require would get old after a while, but it really doenst bother me much. If I were having to get up early multiple Saturdays to watch a lousy team play a boring game I might not be happy. But Seamus' soccer team is actually pretty good. They are on a winning streak right now and more importantly, the team is really gelling and doing well together. They have become a very good team.

Sunday:
Matt and Finn had a cub scout meeting at our house on Sunday, so I took the opportunity to vacate the premises and attend the Rose Bowl Flea Market in Pasadena. Ive been a couple times to this HUGE outdoor market and have really enjoyed myself. They have a great selection of unique and unusual vintage items. Even if you're not buying, its fun to go and look. When my friend Ellie notified me that she was going this past Sunday I decided to tag along. I invited my friend Tina to come with me and I also decided to take Seamus. If I could do it all over again, I would NOT take him along. Pasadena is about 2.5 hours away and although Seamus was great while we were at the flea market, he was a total nightmare on the trip up and on the trip back. When I came home, I didnt feel rejuvinated or excited by the day's events. Instead I felt embarrassed, frustrated and grumpy. I hate when that happens.

I bought two items at the flea market. First, some vintage glasses:

And secondly, this hand embroidered picture:

I really debated on buying this needlepoint piece. It was a little more than I wanted to pay, but in the end I bought it because I totally fell in love with the saying. Im so glad I bought it because seeing it on my wall makes me feel like the day wasnt a complete waste. The trophy of me going and putting up with all Shea's crap is that needlepoint frame. I earned it and it is mine.

Ive got a really busy day today: haircut, speech, playdate, soccer carpool. I better get going.
Happy Tuesday.

4 comments:

  1. Maybe Seamus got his square dancing ability from my mom & dad. Imagine my surprise when one night at a dance at my school, they were the hit of the square dance group! Remember my parents were older & I never thought they could move that fast!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear your trip wasn't so great - kids and road trips just don't go together. When Salla was here visiting last week we took her to Austin and i think it was probably even as bad as having Seamus but she is 22. Before we left Austin Karen got some Duct tape and threatened her and our ride home was much better. Should I send you a roll for your next trip?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the needlepoint piece. but I'll keep my opinion on the glasses to myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you came and brought your friend, I hope she had fun. I know it is a drive. I'm bummed we never got pictures together. What was I thinking? Sheamus seemed to be having a great time there. I do like your needlepoint, it is very colorful and I like the birdies on there. Is Tina happy with her cloche..tell her look at yardsales and thrifts I got all of mine there and for good prices. I didn't buy a whole lot. I'm going to post my buys later this afternoon. I took a ton of pictures of the booths but I wish I got a shot of the metal chairs I really liked....hope we can get together soon.

    ReplyDelete