Friday, November 13, 2009

Me Gusta! - Glee

I have a few guilty pleasures: peanut butter, itunes, quilts and Glee.

You guys know about Glee, right? Its an hour show on Fox about a group of mismatched high school students who create a glee club on campus. Sounds typical, right? Its not. In every episode the actors sing. Yeah. You heard me right. They sing show tunes and popular music and classic rock and oldies. The writers work the songs into the plot in clever ways. It doesnt feel forced. On average I'd say they sing about 2 songs an episode. Personally, I get pretty bummed if they dont have 3 songs and my preference is that one of those three be a group song. But... that's just me.

Glee comes on Wednesday nights and Matt and I typically watch it together. We tivo it and after the first showing I usually go back and watch the musical numbers over and over until the next episode airs the following week. Ive seen the "Dont Stop Believing" number about 50 times. Ive watched the football scene where they sing Beyonce's "Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It)" about 30 times. I've watched the Queen number "Somebody to Love" about 30 times.

I know. Im a freak. Believe me, I wish I could explain why I love the musical numbers so much. I dont know why. It confuses me a lot and I feel like a big ol' dork sitting in front of the tv smiling like a child on Christmas morning. But it is what it is. I dig it.... a lot.

In this week's episode two characters sang a song called "Defying Gravity." Apparently the song is from the Broadway play "Wicked," but I didnt know that when I first heard it. Instead I was blown away by the words and the way the actors sang it. I was touched by the way they worked it into the plot. Ive watched the scene a lot... not 30 times, but its only Friday morning. ;)

After the show aired, I went on itunes and bought "Defying Gravity" as sung by the Glee cast. I then proceeded to listen to it (and a couple other songs I downloaded from the Glee soundrack) about three dozen times. Currently it says Ive listened to it on itunes 12 times, but that doesnt include the countless times Ive listened in the car and in the kitchen port. Ive listened to it a lot. When I hear it, I try to sing with the actors and I cant. I do not nearly have the range to pull off that song, but I dont care. It feels good to sing it. When I picked up Seamus from football practice yesterday, he got in the car and said "Mama, what is this song you keep listening to?" and Finn replied "I dont know, but I know all the words. She keeps playing it over and over again."

Finn was right. He does know all the words. I know this because on the way to school this morning, all three of us were singing the song at the top of our lungs. We listened to "Defying Gravity" and then "Dont Stop Believing" over and over again until we got to school. Ahhhhh. I wish I could start off every morning that way - all of us singing together in the car. Good times. When we entered the parkinglot Seamus said "Mama, you need to buy "Someone To Love." I cant believe you haven't bought that song yet. You loved it when they sang that song."

What Shea didnt know is that I did buy "Someone to Love." I just hadnt uploaded it to the ipod yet. I love that he mentioned it, though. He knows me well.

Happy Friday, peeps!

2 comments:

  1. Okay, Lisa, but did you cry when Sue Sylvester's sister was revealed? Oh my God. I was a mess.

    Love Glee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hell yes I did! lol I was just telling Matt this morning that I cried THREE FREAKING TIMES during that show. One, when they actually sang the Defying Gravity song. Two when Kurt was talking his Dad about how he threw the contest. And Three when Sue went to see her sister.

    I was a mess this week! But I love it. :)

    ReplyDelete