Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The Giving Tree


When we bought our house 10 years ago, one of the biggest draws for me was the huge liquid amber tree in the front yard. It stood high and regal, like a beacon calling me home. You see, when I was young I used to draw pictures of generic houses. Dont all girls do that? My houses were usually yellow or blue. Most had a chimney and all had a big, looming tree in the front yard. In 1999, when I saw our house for the first time, the liquid amber acted like an X marks the spot. I hadnt even been inside the house before I told Matt "This is it." I was home.

Here in San Diego, you dont see a lot of deciduous trees, but our liquid amber drops its leaves every year. Its somewhat unique in my town of mostly palms, eucalyptus and other evergreen trees. Usually our tree lets down its leaves in January or even February. But in the past couple weeks, the weather has turned cold and the tree's leaves have begun to drift down from its branches. Its a welcome surprise. My large front yard is littered with crunchy, brown and yellow leaves.

Yesterday the boys and I set out to gather the leaves up. We dusted off the rakes and made large piles in the yard. It was fun to do this together - working side by side in the beautiful November weather. The boys didnt complain and my heart felt full. Im thankful.



Happy Tuesday. :)

1 comment:

  1. Reminds me of Matt & the other kids. They always loved the leaves!

    ReplyDelete