Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Seamus' Latest Thing: Chess


Seamus has been really into chess lately. We went and bought a cheap set at the 99 cent store last month and he's been hooked ever since.

He's played Matt a couple times, but mostly I am his opponent. Though Im not a good player, I enjoy the game. I think its fun. More importantly, Im not a sore loser. Seamus is very competitive and likes to win. He's very methodical and often gloats as he's playing. "Im three plays ahead of you, Mama. You don't know what's coming." (((groan))) When I play Seamus I like to shake up his arrogant exterior. I play him quickly and fearlessly. I can be quite aggressive on the attack and often times this style of playing stumps Seamus and I'll win. He gets so mad when I win.

We're about even as far as wins and losses. Shea's beaten me half the time and Ive beaten him the other half. The last time we played I beat him and he was so mad that he told me he wouldnt play me anymore. This morning was the first time in about a week that he's asked me to play. I was glad he had stopped sulking, but I was super busy and didnt have the time to play. Instead of telling him no, I threw him the game. It was the fastest game we've ever played. Upon winning, he looked at me and said "Mama... you didnt even try. I dont want to play you if you're not going to try." That made me smile. It felt satisfying that he knew I had thrown the game and even more gratifying that he didnt spend much time gloating about a win he didnt rightfully earn.

Happy Wednesday.

3 comments:

  1. Just a blog lurker here wanting to thank Matt and you and your family for your service and sacrifice for our country and my family!
    Thinking of you and thanking you!
    Megan from San Clemente, CA

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least you've beat him...I haven't yet!

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad he's into chess. I love games, almost all games. I didn't learn to play chess until 2 years ago or so. I soooo wish I had learned sooner.

    I was bummed that I couldn't join you guys at the Rose Bowl on Sunday. We had a contrator friend over and were in the middle of deciding on doors. The joy of home ownership. lol Hope to catch you guys next time. :-)
    Cristina

    ReplyDelete