Monday, August 3, 2009

Phil X and Fretted Americana

This post is for Tina. ;)

I went to high school with a guy named Dustin Jack. We lived in totally differnet social circles: I was a goodie goodie in honors classes and he was the bad boy/artistic type who wore a leather jacket and played in a band. Although we were not friends in school, we are now "friends" on Facebook. Funny how life works.

One day last week, Dustin posted a link on facebook to a youtube clip of Phil X playing guitars for Fretted Americana. Who is Phil X you ask? Roll film:






**note** - I love how in that last clip, PhilX went off on a tangent at about 1:07. I could so appreciate that entire aside. I do that stuff all the time too. I key into the music and get lost in the intricacies of it. Once I find something that fascinates me (or something that is misunderstood by others as Phil X describes in his first example) I wanna talk about it because its so cool and interesting to me. It fills me up and gets me excited. But to others, they often look at me like "Dude... take your ADHD pill. You are all over the place!" ha ha




I know I keep adding clips (I wonder if thats legal?) but I cant choose between them all!

Does this guy shred or what? I wish there was a way for me to accurately describe how CAPTIVATED I was watching these videos. Alas, I dont write that well. ha ha But seriously... I sat in front of my computer with a huge grin on my face for hours watching this guy play. In one word: spellbound. Nope... that wont work. Two words: turned on - and Im talking about the music, not the guy. I loved hearing him talk about the guitars: about the technical aspects of the sound. I loved hearing him demonstrate it. Id never heard or seen that stuff before: the education part of it. Thanks to my dad, I can identify classic riffs in seconds. I was raised appreciating the greats: Page, Clapton, Hendrix, etc. However, I never knew what made the sound. I never knew about pick ups or tone or various amplifiers augmenting the sound in different ways. I could identify the sound, but never understood how it happened.

When Matt came home, we both sat in front of the computer till almost 11pm watching this dude play. Dozens of videos. Pretty cool stuff.

As a self professed music freak, getting linked up to these videos was a total thrill for me. I hope it is for some of you. Muchos gracias to Dustin!

Also if you're interested, check out the store: Fretted Americana Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment