Thursday, August 6, 2009

Marriage and Prop 8


I recently read a excerpt from an interview Brad Pitt gave with Parade magazine about marriage. I wanted to post it because in the wake of Prop 8 I had a really difficult time trying to explain why I was so vehemently against the proposition. I tried to speak rationally and eloquently about it, but in the end my heart always got the better of me. Brad explained pretty closely how I feel about it. For me its always been a equal rights issue. If consenting, adult heterosexual couples are allowed to be married under the law, then so should consenting, adult homosexual couples. Its pretty straight forward for me. I dont believe in treating people differently because of who they are and in my mind, that is what Prop 8 did. It discriminated against homosexuals because of who they are.

I had a couple uncomfortable discussions with some friends who were in favor of Prop 8. Most of them truly believe that marriage should be between a man and a woman. Its just the way they feel. They dont hate on gay or lesbian people. They werent spreading fear among their friends, family and community. They voted with their hearts and minds and while I don't agree with their stance, I can respect that. We're all different people who bring different perspectives and experiences to the table. I believe in diversity of people and I can agree to disagree. Where I get upset is when I hear institutions and individuals prey on the fears of citizens with misinformation and hateful propaganda. I feel that that form of expression is toxic and disgraceful. I have zero respect for it.

Excepert from the interview.

On the right to love: “It’s ridiculous that Prop 8 took away gay people’s right to marry! I have no understanding of that kind of hatred. Maybe it’s fear of difference or of the unknown. If you feel belittled, maybe you need someone else to belittle to feel powerful. It’s the only way I know how to explain it. You’ve got religion telling you what to think about homosexuality, about marriage. They say homosexuality is a choice, a lifestyle, something you can be cured of, and that isn’t true. But if you’re tucked away and have no friends who are gay, you’ll believe what the preachers say. Just think of it in terms of being in love–how would you feel if someone told you that you couldn’t be with the person you loved?”

On wanting the best for his children: “Would it bother me if a child of mine turns out to be gay? No, not one bit. Listen, I want my kids to live the lives they want to live. I want them to be fulfilled. I hope I teach my kids to be who they really are.”

I agree with what he said about his kids too. I hope that if one or both of my sons are gay and they are lucky enough to find another man to love and spend their lives with that they will have the right to be married before God, family and friends and be protected by the laws of this country.

4 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with you (and Brad) more on all points. Gotta love a guy that looks like that and can articulate a point too. I think the more we talk about this issue in this way, the more we can alleviate the fear and misunderstandings and hopefully someday (soon) see real equality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What can I say? Love Ya! I could not ever have asked for a Better SIL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is funny I always read the Parade articles when I get the paper and happened to read that too. I've been upset with Brad because of the Angelina Jennifer thing...he broke my heart but I thought he did hit the nail on the head about the gays having equal rights...I couldn't agree with him more. I got into a heated discussion with my father in law last summer in Alabama....I don't think I could fit in AL I'm way too liberal for them...and athiest too boot! they would have a field day with me. Have you read, the sunday wife..it hits on that amoung religion too, you might like it. Also...I had to fall back in love with Brad again because of his taste in homes...a man after my own heart....I bet if he met me in LA, he would leave Angelina for me!!!!!

    I'm posting annoymously....because your posting thingy majig gives me fits..

    ellie

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yea,. congrats to matt on his promotion....hip hip hooray

    ellie

    ReplyDelete