Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Childhood Memories

Recently I was floating around in cyberspace and I came upon an image that threw me back to 1978.

This image used to hang above the bed in my parents bedroom! When I saw it unexpectedly on a design blog I was so shocked and delighted by it. My reaction was immediate and physical - like seeing an old friend I hadnt seen in years. I saw this image daily for years and years to the point of it blending in with everything else in my childhood home. But when I saw it online, I just burst out with nostalgia.

I remember this print being very large - like five feet tall. In my memory it took up a lot of the wall and acted as a sort of head board for the bed, raising toward the ceiling. Considering the age of my memories, Im thinking it might have been normal sized but seemed large because I was a small kid. Who knows. There were times I remember laying in their bed studying the butterfly woman with an appreciative eye. I dont think I ever equated her being a flapper. I dont recall ever seeing "The Flapper" title under the image. That would have explained a lot. No ... in my youth I just thought she was a pretty half woman, half insect. ha ha So random how I never thought that was strange (a woman butterfly?) or tried to investigate why a woman would be illustrated with wings and antenna. I guess I wasnt a curious child.

Seeing this image again brought so many questions to my mind. Who picked it out? My mom or my dad? Seems like an interesting pick for either of them, but then again what do I know. Did they have it framed or buy it framed? Now that Im adult, I realize how expensive framing a large print can be. That thing was large, or at least I thought it was. I wonder where is it now? Did my parents get rid of it or is it hidden somewhere? Ironically, my parents have nada over their bed now. No colored paint, no wallpaper, no pictures - of butterfly women or otherwise.

Anyway... deep thoughts from Lisa McGarvey. ha!

Happy Tuesday!

3 comments:

  1. You have to ask and I am guessing your Dad! No real logic but the dude has a VW bus so.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too ironic...I ran across this new stamp from Prima today and saw your post at the same time. So funny! Here is a link if your interested:
    http://www.stopandscrap.com/prima-clear-stamp-butterfly.aspx
    Hope your doing well! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete