Sunday, August 9, 2009

Introducing LtCol Matthew McGarvey


This past Friday Barb, the boys and I went to Camp Pendleton to attend Matt's promotion ceremony to Lieutenant Colonel. Its a pretty big deal for him; a huge accomplishment. The boys and I attended his promotion when he made major a few years ago. I remember Finn being a baby on my hip and Seamus a rambunctious toddler. I could barely pay attention to what was happening with our young sons in tow. This time was much different. The boys were older and realized the significance of what was going on. Seamus in particular was intrigued by the pomp and circumstance of the occasion. Matt's mother Barb was here to see the ceremony and I know that meant the world to Matt. She pinned his bars on when he was first commissioned back in 1992 and on Friday she pinned on his silver, LtCol oak leaves. Very cool! Lastly, the oak leaves that we pinned on Matt's uniform were given to him specifically for the ceremony by Richard Hemenez - our very good family friend and mentor to Matt. He couldnt be there to see Matt get promotion, but he passed on the oak leaves in his absence. It was very special day.


Here is a picture of Matt's buddy Joe. They were in ROTC at Carnegie Melon together and he was also in our wedding. I smiled when I saw him walk to Matt's office before the ceremony. Joe also works on Camp Pendleton but in a different building on base.He's been a good friend to Matt over the years and I know Matt appreciated him coming over to witness his promotion.

The ceremony was done in the lobby of the building where Matt works. On the walls are dozens of photos of former Commanding Generals and Sergeants Major. The pictures start in black and white and turn color with the years. Its impressive. And then on another wall is the power pyramid - the big whigs who control things in Washington DC.

Lookie who's on top now. Wow. That actually struck me quite profoundly when I saw it. Made me smile. Now, he just has to make it worth it. Do me proud BO! Dont make me regret my vote.
Happy Sunday!

3 comments:

  1. What the heck Lisa! You should have let me know, I would have loved to be there. -M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this the same Matt McGarvey that went to Moniteau HS, graduated 89? ...Has to be, the face is unmistakeable - even after 20 years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done, Matt.

    ReplyDelete