Saturday, February 14, 2009

Valentines Day



Yesterday the boys celebrated Valentines Day at school. All week the 7th grade was selling candy grams to be delivered on Friday. I figured since the boys were new, Id buy a couple for them so they wouldnt feel left out. I remember those candy grams when I was in school and it always felt good to be included. I figured it woudlnt be as cool as getting candy grams from friends, but I was hoping it would be a nice thing for them none the less.

Finn was all smiles when I picked him up yesterday. He told me "I was very popular today Mama." He proceeded to tell me how everyone liked his Valentines (there were candy) and were asking for more. Hmmm. Im not sure how I feel about that, but my initial feeling is not that good. Im not sure exactly why I feel like that but I do. Then he added "I also got FOUR candygrams!" He was beaming. I asked him if he got the one from me and Dadoo. He said yes. I asked if he got the one from Dama Shan and Dama and Papa. He was all smiles: yes! Phew. At least that worked. I guess candy can still buy smiles.

Seamus is excused 15 minutes after Finn's class and when he bounded outside upon the dismissal, the first thing out of his mouth was "I have two bags of Valentines and I got 7 candygrams - more than anyone in the class!" Seamus has never been a very humble person. Gloating comes naturally for him. Its not a becoming trait and I was actually very embarrassed by his behavior. After a second or two I said "Wait... 7 candygrams? Who gave you candygrams?" Seamus acted very blase and said "The eighth grade girls." WHAT??!?!??!!?

Ok... some background. I knew that one of the 8th grade girls was going to give him a candygram. She told me she was going to do it but I thought I had talked her out of it. (((groan))) There are these very sweet and very pretty 8th grade girls who think Seamus is "cute." Not boyfriend cute. Oh, hell no! They think he's cute like "a little 5th grade kid" type of cute. These girls are very kind and very good girls and for some crazy reason they like to give attention to Seamus. Honestly, I think its easier for them to turn their attention on him instead of guys in their own grade that they might actually be interested in. None the less, when Seamus told me he got two candygrams from 8th grade girls I shook my head in irritation.

That kid has the ego of a varsity basektball team. He does not need anymore confidence. Finn does. How do I get Seamus to tone it down, and Finn to turn it up?

2 comments:

  1. Give it a few years - soon Finn will be breaking hearts all over the place with those blue eyes and smile. Seamus will do the same just at a faster pace! Can't help it you have two very handsome sons - guess it comes from their parents!

    Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you know what-you are the best mom ever to think that they would need to get candy grams from you. i sat in class so many years not getting diddly squat (this was before they made you give valentines out to everyone-to be fair) and if only my mom would have thought to do this for me, to rally my family and friends to do this for me, it might not have been the humiliation that it was.

    SO CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP from me to you.
    i tip my hat.

    as far as the ego stuff-i think too much ego is better than not enough. make seamus in charge of pumping finn up. give him a secret job and make him feel adult and important. it might help balance it all out!

    tara

    ReplyDelete