Wednesday, February 4, 2009

No Good, Very Bad Day



Yesterday was a tough day for Finn. He's so sensitive about stuff. He definitely got that from me.

When I picked him up from school yesterday, he was in tears. He can be quite dramatic and its often hard to figure out what is a legitimate problem and what is something that can be smoothed over with rational discussion. When I asked what was wrong he sobbed, "I have tooooooo much homework, Mama. Its not fair! Its too stressful for me! I need a break!" He had two and a half pages of doubled sided homework and he had to cover his Reading book. If you ask me, five pages is a lot for a second grader, but that amount of work is not typical. Usually he has three pages of work - four at the most. I think what threw him yesterday was the double sided sheet of 100 math facts. It looked like a lot - even to me. He was really upset.

The homework takes Finn some time to finish, but I dont believe its particularly difficult for him. It doesnt take more than 45 minutes to do. Usually he spends more time complaining about his homework than actually doing it. The problem that I see happening is that Finn will compare his homework to Seamus'. Seamus is in fifth grade and gets way more homework than Finn, but Shea's teacher allows him to get it done in class. Finn's teacher doesnt. Most days, Seamus will come home with the majority of his homework done and that infuriates Finn. He doesnt feel its fair and frankly its not. But you know, life's not fair. My mom used to say it to me every single day of my life and I hated it. But she was right. Life is not fair. You need to learn to adapt to life's disappointments. It doesnt take the sting away, but it keeps you from feeling bitter and hardened. I tried to explain this to Finn, but at 8 years old and in his emotional state he really wasnt getting it.

But then he started rambling on about mean people. (((insert heavy sigh here))) His conversation started with complaints about homework and segued into a rant about mean people. I listed off pretty much every boy in class. "Was _____ mean?" Every time Finn would reply "no." Finally there was only one boy left and he is mean. I know his name well and Ive seen him in action. He's not a nice kid and he's especially not nice to Finn. "Mean kid" has the attitude of a teenager and in typical form, he is also the ring leader for many of the boys in his grade. Its almost like a movie isn't it? Like a bad cliche.

So there it is. The mean kid. Generations and generations of schools have them, but that doesnt make it right. I wish I were confident that if I went to the teacher/school and spoke up about my concerns that something would be done about it, but Im not. So instead, I try to teach Finn to stick up for himself when confronted and avoid the kid when possible. I share with him that as an adult, I avoid mean people all the time - everyday in fact. Life is too damn short to spend time dealing with jerks. Mean people are like viruses - they infect everything they come in touch with. Its better to just avoid them. Then I tell him that if it gets too rough with the "mean kid," that he should go to an adult and say something.

But in actuality, what I really want is for that kid to leave the school. What do they say about one bad apple in a barrel? I am certain that his class would be more cohesive without that kid in it.

6 comments:

  1. I'd like to get my hands on that "mean kid". But I guess the advice you gave Finn was the right thing to do. I remember mean kids in school - in fact one girl would wait for me to get off the bus and then pound the daylights out of me. When I finally got fed up and let her know it, we became friends and still are. How crazy is that? Give he a special hug for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talk about irrational emotions - just sitting here reading this made me cry - I do that a lot when I am angry and thinking of sweet Finn dealing with the mean boy makes me angry. Unfortunately you are right and there are always mean people. I know that a face popped into my mind when I was reading this and I'll bet everyone else will have the same reaction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa...I think you should very tactfully talk to the teacher about the amount of Homework. I know Madison has gotten plenty here and there and her teacher was very glad that I said something. Madison is no slouch when it comes to Homework..she comes home and gets it done so when she says it's too much I believe her. And I think pages and pages of facts are sometimes just busy work. And second graders at that age are very obsessed with right and wrong and what is fair. it's part of the process of development at that age. Maybe you can tease Finn and say..why don't you trade hw with Seamus for the day and then he'll see how much harder it is. Mean kid..I know school tend to have a No tolerace for bullying, so I would say to speak to the teacher again about this and see if it does not get resolved. No one should be made afraid of to go to school and if that doesn't help go down their and Kick his ass...that works too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had your hands full with emotions to say the least. I know when my kids get in the car overwhlemed with what's ahead of them that night I try to let them eat and rest for a few minutes before starting any homework. A full tummy can do wonders. As far as the mean kid I would do exactly what you did. I always try to let my kids handle it first and then involve an adult if that doesn't work. Besides I am sure you wouldn't be the first to complain about the mean kid, they usually have a reputation already. If it gets physical, beyond just mean words that Finn can't avoid then I would call the Principal. Ugh, playground antics. It never changes! Hopefully next week will be better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for that advice guys. I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete