Saturday, August 28, 2010

Me Gusta: Harry Potter

I am going to remember these past 2.5 months as the "The Summer of Harry Potter." Though I have been a huge fan of the books for several years, this summer was when Harry Potter worked his magic on my children.

-Seamus read most of the Harry Potter books and loved them.
-We watched all the Harry Potter movies and loved them.
-The boys were captivated by the Lego Harry Potter videogame. I didnt really love that, but they sure did.

Then about a month ago the Harry Potter enthusiasm jumped up a notch. One day as I washed dishes I heard Seamus yell "Expecto Patronum!" while playing outside with Finn. For those of you who dont know, "Expecto Patronum" is a powerful spell in the Harry Potter books. It made me smile so big when I heard him say that. I didnt realize they had begun make believe playing with Harry Potter lore . A few days later I began finding Finn's drawings and notes all over the house. He wrote out lists of characters and settings and magical creatures from the Harry Potter series. He listed the different wands of each character and what set them apart. He drew flow charts indicating how the characters were related. It was as if Finn was putting together a reference book for the series - a very daunting undertaking. My favorite Harry Potter moment, however, was overheard at bedtime. The boys were giggling and talking in hushed tones when I heard Finn exclaim "Seamus! You broke my wand!" Wand? Did they really make wands?

Oh yes they did... they made wands! When I asked if I could take a picture of them, they began chattering quickly about the different woods they used to make the wands and which ones were their favorites. Here's the proof.

I find all this so freaking adorable. I really do.
Do you think its too early to start thinking of Harry Potter themed Halloween costumes?
I would love to be McGonagall.

Happy Saturday.

3 comments:

  1. Li, I love this! We are huge fans our house and it makes me smile to hear the boys are into it as well. Sometimes with today's video game generation it is so good to see that their own creative imagination is alive and well. Thanks for posting again. I have missed them!

    Rika

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I've read all of the books, but recently heard "Half Blood Prince". If you haven't heard the audio books, they are soooo worth it. The reader, Jim Dale, is MAGNIFICENT! He makes the books come to life, not that they need any additional help. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i loved reading this post. so cool to hear about their imagination at work.

    ReplyDelete