Monday, August 9, 2010

Irritation Number 1

While I was away on vacation, an unexpected glitch began to take over my camera. My LCD screen shows the pictures looking fine, but the actual photo once viewed on my computer is underexposed. Let me explain a little further. Im not a learned student in exposure. I dont take pictures in the M mode (I usually use P, Tv and Av - depending on what I want) and I dont use my meter. When I take photos, I use the LCD screen to view the picture and then I adjust exposure accordingly. Its a trial by error process. Because the LCD was not showing an accurate picture of what I was taking, I didnt adjust the exposure. If it looked fine on the LCD then I kept taking pictures. Unfortunately, this meant disaster for all my vacation photos. Unbeknownst to me, my photos were all underexposed so now Im in the process of having to edit every single photo due to this problem. I am so frustrated.

Here's an example of what Im talking about:


That's one picture down. I have 1,112 more images to go.

You know what? I might try to reset the entire camera. I hadnt thought about that. Cross your fingers it works.

Happy Monday.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Lisa..you can't trust that LCD screen! Put the LCD screen on the screen that shows the histogram too and you can keep a watch on the exposure..you don't need to know all the details, but just basically what the histogram is showing..google it..and then you'll know how you need to adjust (but hmmm, you may only be able to do that in M mode..not sure)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Heather. That is exactly the same advice I got from some friends when I came home crying about what had happened. They said to check the historgram! Thankfully the camera has that option: image with historgram. Im just so not used to doing that, but right now I dont have an option. It looks like Im going to have to take a crash course in exposure soon. (((heavy sigh)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lisa - love the pic of father and son fishing --- great moment captured.
    Also, I think you can auto fix a batch of images in photoshop - I use Elements, and I think you can do it there. Good luck!
    karin

    ReplyDelete