Thursday, December 9, 2010

Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 1



On Friday November 19th Matt, the boys and I went downtown to our local movie theater and watched a 10:15am showing of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1. It was a long time coming. The anticipation leading up this this day was intense. Not since Star Wars Episode 3 have we collectively and as a family anticipated a movie like we did this one. The kids didnt go to school that day. I kept them home so we could skip the crowds and watch the movie together. They looked so adorable in their Hogwarts uniforms. I was really kicking myself for not buying my own tie and cloak at the Halloween store when they were 50% off. Matt also played hookey from work. To be honest, he wasnt as into the festivities as the boys and I were, but I think he got caught up in the excitement anyway. Matt is the only one in our family who has not read the Harry Potter books. I havent given up hope on him, though. Heck... if I can get Seamus to read all 7 books Matt should be a breeze. I just havent focused on him yet.

Was the movie good? Heck yes it was! I was captivated the entire time. Its a BIG SCREEN type of movie - very cinematic. True to the book it had a different feel to it than the previous movies. There wasnt as much action and it had a much slower pace than its predecessors. At one point during the film, I looked over at the boys and wondered how they were liking it. They seemed into it, but I wanst sure. There is no Hogwarts in this film. I knew they liked the magical school and daydreamed about being a student there. There were no professors or students. There was no tension or intrigue between Harry and Snape. In fact, there was little interaction other than between Harry, Ron and Hermione. After the movie, I asked how they liked it and thankfully, they gushed. The four of us are hoping to go see it in the theater again.

Now the hard part comes - the wait for the last movie. Its going to be released July 2011 and in an odd way, Im grateful for the next 8 months. That last movie coming out is going to be very bittersweet.

Happy Thursday.

3 comments:

  1. Lisa, that is the most RAD pic of you guys in the theater. Dang.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cathy. I wasnt so excited by it but Im changing my mind. :)

    ReplyDelete