Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Walk This Way... Talk This Way


For a 9 year old, Finn's vocabulary is substantial. He loves to read and Im guessing his love for books has played a major role in him understanding and employing a large vocabulary. However, one of the cutest things about Finn's manner of speech is that he often makes words up so that they sounds bigger or more impressive. He does this so frequently that I have begun to write the words down . Here are three examples I heard this past week .

1. Constantaneously. I believe Finn uses this word when "constantly" doesnt adequately describe the large degree of frequency being exhibited. Example: I am constantaneously cleaning up after two little boys.

2. Quicklier. Another way to say quickly, but with more emphasis. Example: Seamus runs quicklier than many boys his age.

3. Elastical. Most of the time when Finn uses an inventive word in conversation, I dont bring attention to it. But when he said "elastical" recently, I asked him what he meant. He looked at me in all seriousness and said "Mama, elastical isnt normal stretchy like a rubber band. Elastical means real stretchy - like gum or goopy snot."

Yeah. Goopy snot. Gotta love it.

Happy Tuesday Night.

3 comments:

  1. ha! love it! i just read this post outloud to scott + we had a good laugh together. i think those are examples of great intelligence + creativity, so good for him! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post makes me smile. My 10 year old is just like that : inventing words often by combining two together to better express what he wants to describe. Been doing that since he was 2 I think. He also is a big reader and has a fantabulous extensive vocabulary. They learn lots of vocabulary in their readings, that's for sure ! It makes for interesting writing also as people tend to write the way they speak. Love constantaneously and elastical !

    Danielle

    ReplyDelete