Thursday, September 30, 2010

She's Leaving Home. . . Bye Bye.

Sorry for the long absence.

Ive been going through some tough stuff lately and didnt feel like posting. I think its just normal "life" stuff, but its gotten the best of me this month. I recently saw a facebook status update from a friend and she wrote "Wake me up when September ends." I could not agree more with those Greenday lyrics. Today is the last day in September. I suppose its time to "wake up."

On this unusually stormy day, I said goodbye to my sister Jennifer and her family. For the majority of our lives we have lived either in the same city or adjacent cities. Since Jennifer had her first child 6 years ago, we have lived in the same neighborhood. Tomorrow Jen, Barry, Eli and Abbey are leaving on a plane and moving to Madison, Wisconsin. Their house is up for sale; their possessions have been shipped. My gut says they will not return to live in Southern California again. I will no longer be a daily part of my niece and nephew's life. I will no longer be a part of my sister's daily life. This reality has been a huge, dark cloud hanging over my head for weeks.

Today I am heartbroken.

Ive been stoically keeping it together for the past several days. I didnt want to upset anyone - namely Jennifer. When the family has been together (which has been every day this week) Ive been distant in an effort to keep myself from sobbing. Once alone, I break down. This has been my routine for at least a month. I cant talk about what's happening to anyone without bursting into tears. This impulse has proven problematic and embarrassing for me. In a sick way, it actually feels satisfying that this day is finally here. Now I dont have to anticipate it anymore. Now it is real. That being said, I still hate this and wish it wasnt happening.

Jennifer told me recently that our family isnt as close as we may think but I think she is dead wrong. I dont know if she said this because she really believed it or if she was trying to distance herself from us in order to make this separation easier for her. This is a fact: we are close. She and I have always been close and so have our children. I have hundreds of pictures documenting our closeness. Here are a few:



























A note to my sister: We are close so dont kid yourself. Our lives have been inter-mingled since the day you were born in September 1972. They will continue to be blended for a long time. I guess we've just had it easy the past several years. It seems crazy that Im only realizing that tonight.

Now the real work begins.

I love you, Jen.

5 comments:

  1. awww, i can't imagine how heart breaking that must be for you. sending your family a lot of love + strength at this hard time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh...I am so sorry you are hurting today. Cleary your sister said that as a defense mechanism - it is apparent in that slideshow that you are close - very, very, close.
    And contrary to popular belief - Madison is not on another planet (well, maybe in January!)so now you have just opened up a whole bunch of vacation opportunities! Madison is a lovely area - I was just up there a couple weeks ago - you know it is always highly ranked for raising a family. A great town. And Chicago! hello, only a few hours away - we are in the northwest burbs of chgo- on your way to madison, so stop by and say hi -
    I know you are hurting now - but with todays technology, you will remain close - with a bit more effort. May God bless your sister and her family as they begin this next chapter in their lives. Think of all the razzing you will be able to give them in February!!! And you may want to tell them to stop at the North Face store before they hit wisconsin! And may God bless you in this time of change.
    -karin
    PS - we missed you in bloggerland....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, since I didn't see an email address I guess I'll be posting directly to your blog. Ironically, I found your blog through my friend Paula Wessels but I've 'known' who you are from 2Peas and your amazing layouts. :-) Anyway, I just wanted to give you a ((HUG)) because I know where you are coming from..Our stories are not exactly the same of course but my little sister is having her first (and only) child in February. I live in Missouri and she lives in Colorado. I am the oldest of three girls. When I THINK about my new neice being born and not knowing when I'll see her or when she'll see her cousins, well...I literally get physically ill and start crying. And yes, my outburts are very sporadic and sudden. A Kleenex commercial about sisters..I'm bawling...seeing advertisements for baby stuff?..bring out the tissues. Not BEING THERE feels like the biggest hole in my gut. I am doing my best to not think about all the things I'm gonna miss since she's so far away. It HURTS......BAD...so yes, I feel your pain and wanted to give you a ((HUG)) cause I know how you feel. peace and blessings..Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are very lucky Lisa to have that connection with your family. really, really. Yes..those pictures speak a 1000 words. It will be hard, yes it will. When Troy's Dad told us he was moving to Alabama I wept and wept. We moved from Hawai'i to Calif to be closer. Hugs go out to you.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for your comments and encouragement. It means a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete