Saturday, September 4, 2010

August Family Portrait


Here is our August family portrait. We took this early in the month while tubing down the Clarion River in Western Pennsylvania.

In my life, I have found a couple activities where l feel totally alive. Its as if these few, special activities where meant especially for me. I feel like I belong when Im participating in them. I feeI purposeful and uplifted. I feel like Im living my life's most effortless and yet most exhilerating moments.

What are these activities, you ask? One is camping at Joshua Tree. When we go to Joshua Tree, its like an instant escape. The beautiful stillness of the dessert is so comforting and centering to me. Any kind of stress Im carrying at the time melts away. One of my favorite times of day out there is the hour or so before sunset. There is a warm, luminescent light that veils the rocky, dry desert. Its still and quiet... almost reverent, like in a church. The place glows for about an hour and then slowly the sky shifts to a deep shade of blue. The stars appear out of nothing - more stars than you ever knew existed.

I also LOVE watching the Padres play live at Petco Park. I know it sounds corny and maybe even a bit shallow, but I get so excited when I enter a baseball field. There is something magical about getting that first glimpse of field. I often feel flooded with a mixture of familiarity, nostalgia and gratitude at seeing that turf. For as long as I live, I will never tire of the rush I receive while watching the Padres come from behind to win a game. There is something infectious about cheering on the team I love with a crowd of 43,000 standing up beside me. Its an electric feeling. I have been so fortunate to watch many MLB games in person and I swear it never gets old.

When we were in Pennsylvania last month, it became very clear to me that tubing down the Clarion River is an activity I can add to my elite list of activities that make me feel alive. I think there is something so uncomplicated yet utterly sublime about slowly drifting down the river on a hot, sunny day. Its sooooo relaxing and yet thrilling at the same time. The boys were just as happy as I was. They were in hog heaven - jumping in and out of their tubes and swimming in the cool water. It is so rare for me to feel at ease while allowing the boys to enjoy an activity with a good amount of independence from myself. I worry too much about things I cant control. But while we were tubing on the Clarion River I couldnt help it but feel completely carefree and untroubled. It was a lovely experience. Pennsylvania is such a gorgeous location to tube, too. The vegetation along the river was lush and green and the sky was blue with huge puffy clouds. I convinced Matt to let us go twice during our visit, but honestly I could have done it every single day. I loved it that much.

Ok... we had a long day of soccer today. I can barely keep my eyes open and my head clear.

Im off to bed.

Happy Saturday.

2 comments:

  1. Helllo...just checking in to see if all is ok...missing your blog posts.
    Monique in Australia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will post soon. Thanks for the nudge.

    ReplyDelete