Friday, October 29, 2010

Its the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!



For the first year ever, Seamus and Finn carved their pumpkins without any help from me. They didnt even ask for it. I bought the pumpkins, set out some knives and watched them go to work. I wasnt expecting them to not need me. It came as a surprise. Usually they will want me to help draw stuff on their pumpkins or carve out something that is particularly hard for them to manage. This year I felt like a fly on the wall. It was like I wasnt even there; not needed in the least. At first, my impulse was to ask them if they needed help -a passive aggressive way of thrusting myself into the action. But then I thought better. I opted to sit down on the steps and enjoy their independence. It didnt feel natural at all and it wasnt easy for me either. I had to make myself sit there - watching without being involved.

I must say, though, their pumpkins turned out really special this year. Very unique - different than in years past. Their own personalities really seemed to shine though in their design, which was cool.

Happy Friday.

1 comment:

  1. I experienced the same thing last night. We got each kid a small pumpkin to go to town with - they each had a blast coming up with their own designs and I loved how each was so unique.
    Tara

    ReplyDelete