Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Family Portrait - 6/10


Im pretty proud of our June family portrait.

The day before we went to the fair, I had (what I believed was) a great idea. Every year at the Del Mar Fair we take the chair lift from one side of the fair over to the kiddieland where the rides are. I began to ponder how cool would it be to get a shot of us on that chair lift, suspended in the air. I ran this idea in my head for about 24 hours, trying to figure out how it could be done. I would need the help of someone else - someone who wasnt afraid to ride ahead of us and take our picture. It would also be better if the picture was taken during the daylight vs. at night.

As we prepared to go to the fair, I asked my mom if she would take our picture on the lift. I explained to her what I had in mind and she obliged me without any hesitation. Yeah Mom! Once we were at the fair, I orchestrated my next move. Normally, we do food and exhibits before rides. However, unbeknownst to anyone, I suggested we all get on the lift earlier than we might have done. The day was overcast - perfect for picture taking -and soon it would be dark. I was thrilled when everyone was ushered onto the ride with Matt, Barb, Seamus, Finn and me in one chairlift behind my mother . My plan was working perfectly!

My mother in law Barb (aka Dama Shan) has been staying with us for the past couple weeks. I was excited she was going to be in our family portrait but didnt fully register how terrified she was to go on the chair lift. She mentioned this problem to us in the car, but I didnt really hear her. I was so hell bent on getting this picture that I didnt actually listen to what she was saying. It wasnt until we were on the chair lift that it occurred to how afraid she truly was. When we were 50+ feet in the air, I saw her fists tightly clinched around the metal bar and I felt pretty bad. Crikey! To make matters worse, Barb was also concerned about losing her flip flops. Matt and I had casually mentioned about almost losing our flip flops on the ride in years past, but we didnt notice that my poor mother in law was wearing flip flops that very day. The entire ride, Barb had her feet pointed up in order to keep her flip flops on. Aye yi yi! What a horrible daughter in law I am! Can you believe I was so thoughtless?

After the pictures were taken, I purposefully didnt look at the series of pictures my mother took until I got home. I dont know why exactly. I guess I wanted it to be a surprise or something. When I got home, I quickly checked the pictures and I went straight to the shots of us on the chair lift. I was sooooooo happy with the pictures my mom took. She took several and they were all fantastic! Matt, Barb and I got a chuckle out of my mother in law's pointed feet in each photo. Eventhough Barb was scared, we all laughed remembering the memory.

I rarely forget what a pro my mom is with a camera. She doesnt take pictures anymore, but I have dozens of pictures from my childhood demonstrating her skill behind the lens. When I saw the shot posted here, I could have cried. It was perfect! It was exactly what I wanted.

Thank you MUCHISMO, Mom!

And thanks also to Barb for putting with my mypoic, one track thinking. Im sorry you were so afraid and I promise I wont force you to go on that sort of ride again.

Happy Wednesday.

6 comments:

  1. No need to feel sorry - I knew what I was getting into, but I will tell you this, I won't ride it again - flip flops or not!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just HAD to comment because I think it is such a great picture and Barb doesn't look the least bit scared...she hid it well!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you, Barb! No carnie at the Del Mar Fair is going to tell me that I'll be safe at 50' in the air. Great pics nevertheless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great Picture and I can't believe you got my Mom on that thing - I can't even get her to ride a Merry go round with me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. such a cool picture!!!
    i want one like it.
    but it would be ME that wouldn't get on the lift....so how will this photo ever happen? :)
    ha.

    ReplyDelete