Saturday, August 20, 2011

There's Always Sunshine after Rain.


Dinner in Puerto Vallarta, 200?

When I was in middle school my parents bought a time share in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. We have been making weeklong, summer visits ever since. I have so many wonderful memories of PV: meals together; ChiChis; the Gigante supermarket; horseback riding in the jungle; banana boat out on the ocean; drinks by the pool; shopping in town and venders on the beach. My head is flooded with so many memories that I cant decipher the years anymore. There are memories when my family as only five and now I have memories that include Matt, my sons, Barry, Elijah, Abbey Road and Dama Shan.

Dad loved PV... he really, really did. At first I believe my parents began going there because of Mom, but my Dad loved it there just as much, maybe more. It makes me sad that he wont be able to experience the warmth and smells of Puerto Vallarta one more time in his life. It makes me sadder that the next time I go there, Dad wont be with us.

My father would totally chill out and do nothing in Puerto but relax for days. He would take naps in the afternoon and rarely watch tv. I can see my dad now like it was yesterday: he's sitting on the balcony of the room in his bathing suit - something with a tropical print and mildly worn. Dad always sat out on the balcony; he didnt like the air conditioner inside. There's an orange or royal blue towel under him on the chair and in his hands is a James Patterson book. Next to him on the table is a drink. Dad never bought drinks from the hotel. Instead he'd head over to Gigante across the road and buy grapefruit or pineapple juice and tequila. He loved that combo.

I remember one time in Mexico, we were both out on the balcony sitting together during a rain shower. Dad had his music with him (he often brought his own music to Mexico in the form of several cassette tapes) and we were discussing how the ambient, guitar laden songs of Dire Straits were a beautiful soundtrack to the rain and electrical storm we were experiencing. We sat out there as the day turned to night, quietly enjoying the music and the rain together. I felt so content in that moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment