Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Seamus + Flour = Bread

At the beginning of this past school year, Seamus participated in a math lesson where his 5th grade class made pretzels. I think the lesson might have been dealing with fractions, but Im not exactly sure. Ever since that day, Shea has been quite interested in making bread. A couple times a month, he will come home with a hankering to bake. Its been a year of trial and error for him but he's finally created a recipe that is quite good. None of his recipe is written down. He keeps it in his head and improvises on it from time to time. I know as his mom Im supposed to over exaggerate the merits of my son, but believe me when I say his bread is quite good. Once you get started, its very hard to stop eating it.

His bread is typically "heavier" than average. Its dense and it soaks up spaghetti sauce quite nicely. Seamus bakes his bread in a pan and the top of the bread forms a hard, buttery shell. If you eat it while its still hot, it melts in your mouth.

Last night, we were eating Barb's spaghetti and meatball recipe so I asked Seamus if he'd like to make us bread for dinner. He amiably obliged and I got this cute picture of him doing his thing. I love seeing him cook like this. He reminds me of his dad when I see him so focused in the kitchen. I hope he grows in his culinary interests. A man who can cook is a joy to all who know him.

4 comments:

  1. this made me smile so dang big. so cute. so so cute.
    tara

    ReplyDelete
  2. how cool that he likes to bake/cook. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks yummy! and it makes me hungry - guess I'll have to break out the spaghetti pan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having spaghetti tonight - wish Seamus were here to make me some bread!

    ReplyDelete