Friday, June 5, 2009

Can We... Shall We?


I saw this print by Rob Ryan in his etsy shop and it really touched me.

Confession time: after 14 years with Matt I often dream of running away, just the two of us. Selfish indulgence. I dream of us taking long road trips together. I dream of exploring new places and cultures together. I dream of running away from the responsibilities of being parents and just focusing on the needs and wants of one another. I cant figure out if my confession is a good thing or a bad thing. It sounds a little sad when I contemplate it in my heart. It feels like maybe something is lacking in my life. But on the other hand I think its pretty awesome that after many years together, I still crave time alone with my husband. He is still my favorite person in the world. I also feel encouraged that I have retained my sense of adventure, despite the fact that I live in the same town where I grew up. My life maybe centered here in Vista, but I long to see more of what this country and world have to offer... with Matt, of course.

In 2007, Matt and I escaped from our kids, work, home and responsibilities and ran away for 16 days to Italy. I swear, it seems unreal and so not my life that I can actually write that. We packed enough memories in that trip for a lifetime: holding hands walking the streets in Rome; viewing great works of art and historical architecture; eating pasta across from the Pantheon; taking long walks through the hills of Tuscany. It was like another world, a parallel universe that I somehow slipped into during a time warp. And while I am still soooo filled up and grateful for that unforgettable time with Matt I also think its ruined me because I ache for more. Before Italy, I never felt like I could hope to get away with my husband - not for a weekend, let alone more. I never felt entitled to time alone with him. That wasnt my life. That was someone else's life. And to be honest, I was contented with that. My life was being the mom of two young, active boys. My life was busy and full with volunteering at their school and taking them to baseball practices and attending soccer games and making doctor appointments. My life didnt afford time alone with my husband that extended past the hour or two we got once the kids were asleep in bed. My life was grounded at home - totally centered on my family. It still is.

But someday, maybe soon, Matt and I can get away again. Maybe just a weekend or maybe something a little more. I dont know. Just because a person is approaching 40 years old doesnt mean she cant dream any more right? I have dreams... boy do I! ;)

Happy Friday.

5 comments:

  1. Get away! Any time - just let me know when to be there to stay with the boys. You two deserve to have some alone time.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Barb. We will have to take you up on it soon. I think Im missing Matt. Its been a long week without him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can always send them to spend some time in Texas with Aunt Kris. When we were kids we often went to Florida without Mom - I think those were her vacations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honey...this was so sweet. I will always cherish the alone time we have had in Italy and before kids. They won't be this young forever. In the meantime, we should take up Mom on her offer...I'm not sure Kris and Seamus would be such a great idea though!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think me and Seamus is a great idea. Who would ever guess it is so easy to scare the big bad Marine? You two do deserve some alone time though. We know Dama Shan is always ready and she has had plenty of practice for Seamus sitting.

    ReplyDelete