Monday, July 19, 2010

Reading Hour


For the past few summers, I have tried to incorporate a reading hour into our schedule. The boys are pretty good readers. I probably dont need to set aside time for them to read, but I do for a few reasons. First, I want reading to be a normal, daily activity in their lives. I am not a huge reader and whenever I meet someone who is, I feel slightly envious they have such a constructive and lifelong hobby. It would make me feel really good if they boys grew up to be readers. Secondly, the boys have summer book reports. Its always nice to have time to complete those reports instead of stressing the last week of summer. And lastly, I enjoy the quiet time. Its nice for the three of us to occupy the same house and yet feel its stillness. That is so rare in our home. My boys are normally really loud, but during reading hour all is hushed and unmoving.

Today during quiet time I snuck this picture of Seamus in his room. He is reading the first Harry Pottery book. You have no idea how giddy it makes me to think of him reading this series. I am a HUGE fan of the Harry Potter books. Matt got me the first book when the boys were babies. Although Im not a big reader, I was curious about the phenomena and began reading the book with some interest. I was hooked from the first few pages. The second book was already out when I began reading the first, so Matt quickly set out to buy me the second book. I devoured it too. For the next several years, this pattern became a tradition for us: each time a new Harry Potter book came out, Matt would buy it for me and Id read it. I have spent many blissfully, selfish hours reading those wonderfully, written books.

The Harry Potter books were on Seamus' book list for the 7th grade so at the end of last year, I took down my copy of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and gave it to Seamus. I asked him to read it for his book report. He wasnt very receptive to my idea and decided to read another book that wasnt on his list. (((deep sigh))) A few weeks ago, I tried again. I emphasized the fact that he had to read a book on the list and that I wouldnt force him to read a book I didnt think he wouldnt like. He took the book and told me he'd read it. A week passed and I noticed little progress with the book.

Today during reading time, I saw Seamus take the book into his room. That was 2.5 hours ago!!! Ive checked on him from time to time and he is indeed reading the book. He came out for about 5 minutes an hour ago and asked me if he could google Gringots. I told him yes. He did it and went back into his room with the book.

I think he's hooked!!!! At least, I hope he is.

Happy Monday.

5 comments:

  1. i love it when they fall in love with reading. =)

    if your boys haven't read the mysterious benedict society, i'd recommend it. there are 3 books in the series, and my older boys (7 & 9) were captivated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reco, Lisa. I have seen those books because I was attracted to the wonderful artwork on the front. We havent bought them yet, but I will soon. :)

    Any other good recos? Im all ears.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it just the best when your kids get really, really into a book? Isabella was like that with the Twilight books, and Nick and I both loved the Harry Potter series and hated it to come to and end. My kids and I liked the Mysterious Benedict Society too. I had to laugh at your comment about Reading Hour on facebook though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, sorry to be a comment pest, but my 12 year old loved the Percy Jackson series that started with the Lightning Thief.

    ReplyDelete
  5. gosh...my eldest is not a reader..I have to force her. My youngest..gets easily lost in a books. Now after I read your post on FB...I said, that's it we are reading for one hour or no Wyn club....but I have NOT been very consistant..I'm a bad MOM>

    ReplyDelete