Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Villa at Capezzana


Honest to God, staying in the Villa at Capezzana felt like being in a movie. When Matt and I went to Italy in 07, we stayed on the Capezzana vineyard, but we lived in a large farm house owned by a private individual. The house was homey and rustic with three bedrooms and lots of old world charm.

The Villa had a slightly different feel. Although it had the same Italian essence as the farmhouse, it was very large and set on a sprawling estate with wonderful gardens and vistas. The Villa is the country home of the Contini Bonacossi family. They have been running the family business of wine and olive oil production at Capezzana for several decades. Their estate was a fairytale kind of place. The Villa where we stayed was a fifteenth century mansion with God knows how many rooms. We occupied only a small fraction of the house during our stay. There were old iron gates that allow privacy to the occupants. The grounds included a tennis court (that was set up like a soccer field for our boys) and a pool. As you strolled through the gardens, you encountered old fountains and architectural structures aged to perfection. There were ancient, classical statues hidden among the vegetation and perfectly situated benches to sit and take in the views of Tuscany. It was a very dreamy place and I found myself wanting to sit alone enjoying the sights and sounds more than once during our stay. The Contini Bonacossi family rents out a portion of the Villa to vacationers for a modest price. During our week's vacation, we occupied seven rooms, five bathrooms, two sitting rooms (one that included a large library,) one kitchen, one dining room and a large patio type veranda that was perfect for outdoor eating and relaxation. Even though the grounds and the Villa itself were quite grand and overwhelming in beauty and history, the furnishings inside were functional and modest. The beds were very comfortable and the showers ripe with hot water. The entire location was cinematic - not anything that even remotely resembles day to day life here in America. It was terribly romantic. As we tumbled into the Villa that first Saturday night, there was not one of us who did not outwardly marvel at the surroundings in which we found ourselves. I feel confident in saying that we all felt a sense of extreme awe - as in "pinch me, this cant be real."


The Villa acted as our home base while in Italy. Most of our days were spent taking day trips into Florence (which was a 30 minute drive from the Villa) or driving around the Tuscan hills exploring neighboring towns. I wish that we had spent more time relaxing at Capezzana, but we didnt. If I had to do it again, I would add a couple days of down time specifically spent at the Villa and its estate. It was truly such a relaxing and beautiful place, but unfortunately we only had five days to explore not only Tuscany and Florence, but also Rome. I am confident that when we return to Italy (and God willing it will be sooner than later) we will be spending a lot more quality time at Capezzana and less time running around seeing the sites.

I know I said that I would also write about our first day in Florence, but Im pretty sick right now. Hacking cough, running nose, lost voice and clogged up head. I think I need to take some time today to recharge and rest. I will, however, leave you with the view I encountered that first morning in Italy. As I said earlier, we arrived once it was dark. None of us saw any of the grounds or surrounding area upon arrival. When it was morning, the boys and I were excited to get outside and explore the gardens. This is the view that welcomed me on Easter Sunday. It was so breathtaking and I was so moved that I ran back into the Villa to grab my camera and take a shot.

Happy Thursday. :)

8 comments:

  1. Stunning photos! Love the family shot. I would love to go to Italy one day. John lived there and has always wanted to return!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I know I should have gone with you. I could have just stayed at the villa and relaxed and enjoyed the beauty of it all!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allison - Thanks about the family shot. I love it too. I took it with the timer (the camera sitting on the ground) and it was very underexposed. I almost cried when I realized I had screwed it up. Thank goodness for photoshop and adobe lightroom. I was able to rescue the image, but I had to sacrifice quality. Eventhough its grainy and colored strangely, I think it looks old - like a vintage photograph. I like that.

    Barb - You would have LOVED to just lounge around on that estate. I truly wish we had done it more. The grounds were so beautiful and lush with vegetation. Benedetta, who's family owns the estate, told us we were there at the most perfect time. Spring. The place was just waking up and flowers were blooming everywhere. Apparently in summer it can get quite hot and there are mosquitos everywhere. Next time... you're there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. your photos are stunning!
    i especially love the one of the four of you as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa, you have me in tears! Your descriptions are so great.
    That photo of the four of you - seriously? COuld not get any better. That is what started my waterworks. I LOVE that shot so much I want one! I know how much this all meant to you - It is just seeping out through your words. You guys are glowing in every photo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to read more about the trip. Keep the pics and stories coming!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing. I love that family shot too - It is great to finally see you in the pictures! This place looks incredible. What a wonderful vacation for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful... what a wonderful memory for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete