Sunday, February 19, 2012

On Rotation: Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon


When my dad passed away this past September, I became the keeper of his record collection. Im not sure how large his collection is but Id guess its a few hundred albums. Dad amassed the very eclectic collection from the early 60s until the mid 80s. He's got everything from Frank Sinatra to The Everly Brothers to The Doors to the Eagles to Frankie Goes to Hollywood. Having his records to play in my home has given me a lot of confort since Dad's passing. Music was so essential to him and his records were a huge part of his musical being. Even in the last weeks of his life, Dad chose to live his life with music playing in his ears and heart. Music was the priceless gift he gave his daughters.

Matt bought me a record player for my birthday this year and since then, we will pull out Dad's records and listen to them while we do our weekend chores. In the interest of my sisters (both of whom greatly enjoyed his record collection) I thought it would be neat to share our selections as we play them.

Todays first selection (chosen by Matt) was Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. As I listen to the songs roll off, its undeniable what an iconic album it is.

Side one:
Speak to Me
Breathe
On the Run
Time
The Great Gig in the Sky

Side Two:
Money
Us and Them
Any Colour You Like
Brain Damage
Eclipse

Matt just shared that he would take this album to a deserted album. He loves it that much. When I asked him what his favorite song on the record was he didnt hesitate in blurting out "Time" followed by various lines from the song. That made me laugh. I am so oblivious to the lyrics of most songs. I always hook into the music. My favorite song is probably "Us and Them." I love that sax playing off the melody. The overall musical rhythm of the song is so hazy and ethereal and dreamlike. Its relaxing to me. Magical.

1 comment:

  1. I miss you! I keep checking back for a new post from you. I hope you guys are doing great & having a really fun summer. -Shell

    ReplyDelete