Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentines Day!


*picture taken on the morning of 2/14/11

I forgot it was Valentines Day today. I woke up really early - unable to sleep. My brain was buzzing. Among the many things on my mind was the fact that I had to run down to the grocery store and get a couple essentials for the boys' lunches. I meant to do it yesterday but got too tired towards the end of the day. Ugggghhhh! As I ran into the store at 6am this morning, I was confronted with dozens of red and pink balloons, flower bouquets and a boatload of candy. It was at that moment I remembered what day it was.

My mother was always great at Valentines Day. Pretty much every year she would give me and my sister a card and/or a small gift. I remember one year she gave me a little red safety pin with a red heart dangling off it. Another year she got us cards full of shiny heart confetti. Her gifts were never grand. She never got me a dozen roses or a piece of jewerly. But for a girl like me - a girl who never had a valentine growing up - her thoughtfulness made me feel very special.

And then there is me. Not only did I forget to do something special for my boys on Valentines Day, I actually forgot it was Valentines Day!

Clearly, this would not do. I had to do something and fast. While at the grocery store, I bought two of the largest mylar balloons I have ever seen. Both were shaped like hearts and each said "I love you." Then I ran next door to the donut shop and bought two pink sprinkle donuts - one for Seamus and one for Finn. I snuck into their rooms (thank goodness they were still sleeping) and put the balloons right by their beds. They would, no doubt, be the first thing each boy would see upon waking up. Then, I set out their donuts with a cup of milk and waited.

Finn was the first one up. He came walking out into the hallway with the balloon flying beside him. He was beaming. When Seamus got up, he too was holding his balloon. He got down from his bed and literally jumped into my arms. There were lots of kisses and hugs this morning from both my boys. And lots of "I love yous" too.

It was the best start to the day that I can remember.

Happy Valentines Day everyone. And lots of love to our family in Wisconsin, Texas, Pennsylvania, Florida and off the coast of Baja California. We love you!

2 comments:

  1. Happy Valentine's Day too all of you. Love you & miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww, your post made me smile...it's the "little things", isn't it? By the way, I linked you on my Facebook page..lol..just thought this was a cute story :)

    ReplyDelete